Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

This should be easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Felly

I bought a 12V, 12Ah winch but I want to plug it into a 110V wall socket. Can anyone recommend the proper converter I would need? Thank you very much.

Hy Felly,

Welcome to ETO

I assume that when you say that your winch is 12V, 12Ah, you mean 12V, 12A.

In addition to Ian's suggested power supply, which is an integrated approach and would involve little wiring, here is another suggestion. If you have no experience of electronics you would need to get someone with the right skills to fit a mains lead and a lead from the power supply to the winch. This power supply would also need to be put in an appropriate case with adequate ventilation for cooling. Note that neither power supply is suitable for exterior use.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=15KHXNWXN62GYE734XNC

spec

PS: I see from your profile that you are from the United States- care to tell us which state and put it in your identity window on the left of your posts.

Last edited:
Hi Felly,
Are you sure that the winch only takes 12 amps ? I have not seen one that small. I would be interested in one with such a low current rating for use with a washing line.
Les.

Thank you gentlemen. I'm new here so have patience.
Ian thanks for the response.

Spec- I'm not very knowledgable with most electronics. I had to click a specialty to get started with a profile.
The specs clearly state 12Ah which confused me a bit. The winch is made to hook up to a atv (vehicle) and I want to use it for a home project. Btw I'm from California. I'll try to figure out how to update my profile. Thanks.

Les- here's a link to the one I purchased.
https://m.harborfreight.com/2500-lb...winch-with-wireless-remote-control-61297.html

Probably the easiest (and cheapest, and most robust) is to use a car battery and battery charger.

A winch like this is likely to take very high currents, and even higher surges - the battery provides the power and the high surges, the charger keeps the battery topped up.

Probably the easiest (and cheapest, and most robust) is to use a car battery and battery charger.

A winch like this is likely to take very high currents, and even higher surges - the battery provides the power and the high surges, the charger keeps the battery topped up.
Yeah, that is why I suggested a higher current 30A switch mode power supply. Even higher current versions of the PSU are also available at a good price.

spec

The specs clearly state 12Ah which confused me a bit.

No they don't. Not for the motor. They say that in order to run the motor you will need a 12V BATTERY with a MINIMUM capacity of 12Ah:

batt.png

There is a small one for sale here that is very close in spec, it is a 12v 153:1 ratio, 2000lb capacity bumper/boat winch it is rated at a FLA 110A.
Max.

I'll try to figure out how to update my profile. Thanks.

Hy Felly,

Thanks for letting us know your State.

It can be confusing getting the hang of filling out your profile on most sites.

Without stating your exact location, it helps us to know your area so that we can get an idea of your mains supply, safety standards, and what component suppliers you will have access to.

It also helps if we know if you are a native English speaker, your age, and your technical experience so that we can adjust out posts to suit. Also it is just interesting, for me anyway, to know where people are.

All you need to do is to left click on 'Personal Details' at the left of your user account home page and put in 'California' against, 'Location', as shown in the attached image. Your location will then be displayed in your identification window at the left of your posts.

spec

2016_05_11_ETO_personal details.png

Last edited:
All you need to do is put 'California' in your user profile against, 'Location', as shown in the attached image, and it will then be displayed in your identification window at the left of your posts.

In addition, it would be great if you could put your timezone (with respect to GMT) in the same line as your state. I, for one, don't have the timezones memorized so it's helpful to include that so we know how far ahead or behind you are time-wise.

Welcome fell.
I think what we are saying in laymans terms is that if you were using this tool with a battery alone, it would need to be a 12ah one, or about 1/3 the size of an average car battery.
The actual current pulled by the winch motor will be more, much more, this is justy a educated guess, but spose the winch is 500kg and its moves fairly slow the motor would be in the region of 350 to 500 watts, which is about 30 to 50 amps, and if you were to stall the motor maybe 4x that.
I suggest you call the manufacts and ask them how much current is uses.
One way to solve your problem cheaply, and if you were not using the winch for long periods is to have a battery connected to a charger to supply it.

Hi Felly,
This page from the manual states that the motor is 1 HP.

Screen Shot 05-11-16 at 08.14 PM.PNG

1 HP is equivalent to 746 watts (From memory.) so at 12 volts this 747/12 = 62.17 amps. That would be if the motor was 100% efficient which it will not be. So if it was 80% efficient this would be 62/0.8 = 77.5 amps. These figures will be if it was fully loaded. My guess would be that it would probably take 20 amps on very light load. I think powering it from a small car battery that is on float charge would be the best option. The actual current will depend on the load it is pulling in your application.

Les.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate the suggestions. You all are incredibly knowledgable! I am impressed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back