Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

This should be easy...Circuit Diagram help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReallyStuck

Hi,

This is my first post, just looking for some assistance please with achieving the following:

I have 1 socket(I intend to attach a variety of devices to, the details are not important) and 6 cells that I intend to have connected to the socket via a switch which will enable me to select a given combination of those cells.
The cells.
2xCR123 (3V battery)
4xAA(1.5V battery)
The layout will be such that there will only ever be 1 type of battery connected, and they will be placed in pairs(2 cells in series). e.g. I will have either just the one pair of CR123 batteries, or two pairs of the AA batteries at any given time. (I say this as the circuit will be similar to that of a torch that can accommodate multiple battery types).

I've attached a diagram of the components.

My intended combinations(or rather options that are to be selected by the switch) are as follows:
1 - OFF
2 - 2xCR123(series) = 2x3V = 6V
3 - 4xAA(series) = 4x1.5V = 6V
4 - 4xAA(parallel) = 4x1.5V/2 = 3V
5 - 2xAA(series)[1st pair] = 2x1.5V = 3V
6 - 2xAA(series)[2nd pair] = 2x1.5V = 3V

So any help with coming up with a nice and concise circuit diagram would be greatly appreciated. (I've no idea what type of "switch" is required either.)
cheers.

I intend to attach a variety of devices to, the details are not important
The maximum current taken by the intended loads is important in deciding on the best type of switch(es) to be used.
One possible problem with using the same AA cells both in parallel and in series is that some may get discharged before others. If the discharged cells are then used in series with 'good' cells the discharged ones may become reverse polarised, or their internal resistance may limit current too much.

Last edited:
If I understand correctly, you have several items (devices) which you wish to connect to a battery pack.

There will only ever be one device connected to the battery pack at a time.

Each device requires a different configuration of batteries.

You want a switch in the battery pack to select the various configurations as you have listed in your original post.

I would suggest that such a switch would be very complicated and expensive and may not be necessary.
The connector which you will use to connect the devices to the battery pack, why not make it a multi-pin connector?
When the device is connected to the battery pack, the plug on the device is wired so that it connects to the batteries which the device requires.
Have a look at the attachment, a crude sketch, but I hope you get the idea.

A final thought, why on earth do you need all these different batteries, there must be a simpler way?

JimB

JimB's suggestion to use a multi-pin connector would prevent the disaster of connecting a 6V supply to a 3V device.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back