Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

this is now driving me up the wall [circuit]

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstechca

I went to my local library and looked through a book of circuits, and I found the following one (see attachment). I can't seem to get this circuit to pick up any TV stations. I even made the inductors 1uH each, and the variable cap between 1 and 6pF and what I got as I was tuning is 1/2 the FM broadcast band starting at about 99Mhz. I used a 3563 transistor to achieve this.

How do I get UHF? Do I have to make the inductors ridiculously small, and the variable cap ridiculously large?

Attachments

• hartley.gif
    hartley.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 256
At VHF frequencies layout is critical, by the time you get to UHF layout is super-critical, coils don't even consist of turns any more! - just straight pieces of wire. The higher the frequency, the lower both the capacitance and inductance have to be - by UHF stray capacitance is a huge factor, and so is stray inductance.

It's not a project for beginners, if you want to make UHF circuits you should buy a suitable radio amateur book (ARRL or RSGB), which will contain circuits and exact constructional details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back