Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

THis is how a legged robot to supposed to walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is so far the closest thing to an organic organism walking.

What kind of motors do they use to move the limbs. These are not off the shelf servos used in RC models.

That is so far the closest thing to an organic organism walking.

What kind of motors do they use to move the limbs. These are not off the shelf servos used in RC models.

NO idea lol. It's DARPA related so probably some near-custom planetary geared brushless thing lol.

Do a youtube search for big dog robot. They've been working on this thing and it's kin for well more than 2 years now, It's Darpa related not military controlled, it's done by Boston University, I'm sure it wasn't cheap but the military is seriously interested in this stuff for uneven terrain troop equipment carriers.

The first time I saw a video of Big Dog I swore it was an internet prank and it was just two guys in a suit until I was all the way through it.

Do a youtube search for big dog robot. They've been working on this thing and it's kin for well more than 2 years now, It's Darpa related not military controlled, it's done by Boston University, I'm sure it wasn't cheap but the military is seriously interested in this stuff for uneven terrain troop equipment carriers.

The first time I saw a video of Big Dog I swore it was an internet prank and it was just two guys in a suit until I was all the way through it.

I saw the horse thing when it came out and, to be honest, it didn't impress me very much. Probably because it seemed really shakey and not to have a real use the way that it was. Plus...I could have sworn I remember it being powered by an engine of some sorts lol.

The main problem is not mechanics and the logic of the design, but a battery power. I read somewhere that human muscles store 7 times more energy than the best batteries. Not to mention real mule's muscles. Unless they use nuclear power :rolleyes: this will never be able to follow troops for more than 5 miles.

probes' main problem has always been about power. Solar, organic fuel, and so on. I read in Real Robots UK, there's a slugbot which picks up slugs, stores 'em in a organic fuel chamber to convert the slugs into methane gas and use it to refuel the robot itself. Sounds pretty funny to me. :)

probes' main problem has always been about power. Solar, organic fuel, and so on. I read in Real Robots UK, there's a slugbot which picks up slugs, stores 'em in a organic fuel chamber to convert the slugs into methane gas and use it to refuel the robot itself. Sounds pretty funny to me. :)

It's like the matrix...except instead of humans you have slugs...and instead of a virtual dreamworld they just kill you.

That is eery. They really have done great work on their gait.

There was a version of Big Dog done by some mime artists - they dressed like Big Dog and copied the original video. This might have been what you saw.

...I could have sworn I remember it being powered by an engine of some sorts lol.

As I understand it Big Dog was basically hydraulic - the engine you heard was an engine driving the hydraulics.

**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back