Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Things You Never Knew Your Cell Phone Could Do

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotwaterwizard

THINGS YOU NEVER KNEW YOUR CELL PHONE COULD DO :

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies. Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for survival. Check out the things that you can do with it:

FIRST
Subject: Emergency

The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobile is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND
Subject: Have you locked your keys in the car?

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end.

Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other “remote” for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"

THIRD
Subject: Hidden Battery Power

Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370#. Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

FOURTH
How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 #
A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone gets stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.

You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

I have tried #1 #2 and #4 but # 3 did not work on my phone. I have a Nokia and they all work accept #3.
I deleted #5 because someone told me it was an Advertizement. I got these in an Email and just wanted to pass it on.

Last edited:
Just tried 3 and 4. Dosn't do anything with my phone. (Sanyo somthing or other)

Sigh, no wonder stupid urban legends keep propagating through the internet.

Not only is this the same stuff that's been around a thousand times, the list which you copied is common enough that I even found it being discussed in its entirety at an urban legend busting site:
https://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp

#1 has a measure of truth but is exaggerated, #2 is just CRAP and I can't believe people actually believe it, #3 and #4 are just related to proprietary functions on some cell phones and are both exaggerated, and #5 is nothing but an advertisement for some company for toll-free 411, which hardly makes it a "hidden" cell phone feature

these "tips" were in an e-mail spam circulating around recently. like Evan says, all hogwash ... #1 perhaps has a grain of truth to it.

I do seem to recall reading that all cellies in the US must dial 911 regardless of whether they have an active subscription, or are even on a network. this makes sense because most of the US is covered by the CDMA network, and many of the big carriers use cdma, but their phones don't automatically work with the other guys towers. the 911 emergency override is supposed to enable the phone to talk to any tower it can, regardless of service level. auto-clubs and travelers guides often recommend keeping your old cell in the glove box for this reason. even though you've transfered service to a new phone or even a new carrier, the old phone can still dial 911 as long as it was working when you retired it.

perhaps Europe has something similar with their very popular GSM network?

dialing 112 on my Nextel yields nothing but an error message.

My Nokia is not GSM and *#60# shows my serial number as posted and 112 States attempting Emergency call when send is pushed I have Cingular
As for the rest who knows?
I did recieve this in an Email but I still think it has some value.
Just wanted to share the info with you.

yes I trhink in eurpe dialling 112 on any phone under any provider with or without a sim card will make an emergency call.

Unlocking a car at a distance well I'm not too sure of that unless it is sound activated, the cell phone can only carry signal up to 1.1 KHz or something it can't carry the MHz of signals in car remotes

Nigel Goodwin said:
It's called SPAM - or perhaps a virus?, in that it convinces people to perpetuate it.

yea thats it give the virus coders a break now we humans will be programed to perpetuate them and spread them far and wide, how come common sense never sinks in but crap gets every where, people will beleive crap instantly but it takes hours to get them to see pure common sense

The *3370# worked, and gave me the message "change active speech codec?" I'm assuming that's for the voice encoding/decoding scheme, and the battery level didn't change at all.

The serial number worked as well. I didn't bother trying the 112 emergency line or the free 411 (heard about that one a while ago...probably last July).

I have a Nokia 6110 (looks ancient, but it's prepaid). My carrier's T-Mobile. I'll try the keyless entry sometime...

Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end.
A friend of mine fell for this one. What a load of rubbish!

A mobile phone is a transceiver not a repeater!

Maybe some of the first systems used acoustics, but not modern systems. Gonna look like an ass if you try it =)

Sceadwian said:
Maybe some of the first systems used acoustics, but not modern systems. Gonna look like an ass if you try it =)
Even so, they probably used ultrasound and telephones are bandwidth limited to only 3kHz so it's not going to happen.

Ehh..ok. None of those work far as i know except for #2.
Now to all of you who so arrogantly said #2 is a flat out lie, well shame on you and i forgive your ignorance.
The keyless entries use a sound frequency to identify and unlock vehicles.
Me and my roomates do this all the time and it can infact have the sound transmitted through cellphones.
Year of car hasnt shown to prove different,
Works on the 2005 saturn vue
2007 Mustang
1987 camaro with keyless added in 90's.
Ive tested this many times have known about this for about 2 years now. Saved me a few times from some mishaps.

feralsteel said:
The keyless entries use a sound frequency to identify and unlock vehicles.
Me and my roomates do this all the time and it can infact have the sound transmitted through cellphones.
And yet when you use a keyless entry remote you don't hear any sound, when you open the transmitter up it doesn't have any form of speaker inside, and yet it does have RF transmitter circuitry and an antenna...

Amusingly enough, as they pointed out here:
https://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp
a lot of the people who try this try it when they're still in range of their car so the keyless entry remote is opening the car just as it normally would. This can be especially significant since the range of your remote can change when you hold it up next to some object (such as a cell phone) - if you are standing JUST outside the normal range of your remote and then you hold it next to your cell phone, that could be enough. It wouldn't in that case depend at all on you actually calling the person standing by your car, and probably not even on your cell phone being ON, but I can imagine anyone gullible enough to begin to believe the myth would easily jump to that conclusion rather than testing it fully.

Imagine the person who first compiled the email. He must be sitting back in his computer chair, hands stretched behind his head with a big grin on his face, marvelling at all the mahem he has caused at the expense of a million gullible people!!!

Brian

feralsteel said:
Ehh..ok. None of those work far as i know except for #2.
Now to all of you who so arrogantly said #2 is a flat out lie, well shame on you and i forgive your ignorance.

No US production car has ever had an acoustic keyless entry system. A handfull used infrared remotes back in the day but now everything is RF based.

I don't forgive your ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back