Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

They just keep coming!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tvtech

Most Helpful Member
As we've said all along, Sony don't fit crap quality capacitors, so they don't fail :D

LOPT transistor failures on Sony CRT sets were commonly caused by dry joints on the line driver transformer, which is something you resolder if you ever change the transistor - apart from that it was almost always the LOPTX arcing internally, which instantly blows the transistor again.

My procedure was as follows:

1) LOPT transistor found to be S/C

2) Examine driver transformer VERY carefully for dry joints with a magnifying glass.

3) If dry joints, resolder, replace transistor, and see if it works.

4) If no dry joints give customer a quote for replacing the LOPTX and transistor (and STILL resolder the transformer as well).

Notice that if there were no dry joints I didn't even bother removing the S/C transistor.

A further complication was that it often blew the main-micro (a large SM device) - funnily, despite using the exact same chassis, it depended greatly if it was a 4:3 set, or a 16:9 widescreen set - I can't remember which way round it was, but one type killed the micro probably 50% of the time, and the other probably only 5% - weird or what? :D

It's so good to read posts like this from a knowledgeable TV tech...even though he has been away from CRT for a while...thanks Nigel :)

What a lot of people do not understand is that the Line Driver Transformer must provide clean drive to it's Boss...the Line Output Transistor.

If the LDT has problems for whatever reason...the LOT will get hot and fail..

With Ching sets here...Smoothing on the LDT Primary is critical...a little 47MF or sometimes smaller. If it's gone low...you blow Line Output Transistors..
Anything will eventually blow after a while.....no matter the rating or quality...

I tried to teach my previous "Tech" here that.....beyond him and his understanding of stuff....

Leave the workshop for 30 Minutes..and I see BU508DF and other Line Output Transistors lying all over the show..wasted...he is thinking...I will try another one...the others were bad :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

I am sooo glad he is gone. He made me a mad crazy person.

And now you Guys have to deal with me. Sorry :wideyed:
TODAY..

LOL..even Stupider....now....He wants to come back..........What is it about uselessness that certain people don't understand....

Like....WE DON"T WANT YOU HERE ANYMORE...

You are wasting..you are going to kill the Company....go away..

Your Salary is about half of what you waste on a Monthly basis....
GO AWAY..

No says he...you owe me....."MASSIVE SWEARWORDS ATTACHED"..Bit of a Racial thing here...hey, black/white...I don't care. Just do the job...Fair.....

Always goes wrong at the end of the Day where you try and reason with someone that is lacking that ability.....and is not aware of it..:banghead::banghead:

Some idiots just don't get it. Only in Africa...where the useless fight for just being useless...
Because there is nothing else they can do....

Absolutely not sustainable.....thinking is all the same...economy down the drain....

What is wrong with these fools.......what is wrong??

Say something straightforward....to them....easy to work out..."they take offense"
FFS...what is wrong here......

For example...ETO has decided they have had enough of me...

Will I fight it = no. I will accept it. Will I try sue ETO = NO. WTF.....try and work yourself back into a place that tried to get rid of me anyway....you see how mad this "Logic" is....

Huge rant here and I am sorry....but I have to bail. Mods delete at will.

How do you deal with Morons?

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
And so the Saga drags on...

None of you Guys know what it is like to take a Money maker..and build it..and keep it up to speed.
When you have Elements doing their best to drag it down...

Crazy stuff....but a worthy cause.

That's all I have to say. One day is one day. I have all the good and Karma I need to build a Champ Team..flat out forever.

Ask anybody that has ever worked beside me....not a Monkey...like the last one...just capable people.
Nothing more and/or nothing less....I laugh a lot when people get along

Me go sleep now.

All the best,
tvtech

^^^I screwed up there:eek:

Not supposed to be on this thread....Oh well.

Cheers,
tvtech

^^^I screwed up there:eek:

Not supposed to be on this thread....Oh well.

Cheers,
tvtech

Where did you want it, tvtech? I'll move it for you.

LOL, Thanks Matt...

Bin it if you want :). Heck, my Memory is going too. Got to be XP related :)

So much to think about :wideyed:

Cheers Buddy,
tvtech

Perhaps it should be in Members lounge as Frustrated TV Tech. Im sure theres plenty of others with similar experiences.

Perhaps it should be in Members lounge as Frustrated TV Tech. Im sure theres plenty of others with similar experiences.

Delete it and let TV create a new "Thread" in the Lounge like !!!! update !!!! Guess who wants to come back and ruin my life "LOL"

kv

Edit: Just copy and past the whole thing; yet remove the first sentence and "Quote" above.

LOL, Thanks Matt...

Bin it if you want :). Heck, my Memory is going too. Got to be XP related :)

So much to think about :wideyed:

Cheers Buddy,
tvtech

Don't bin it; just move it. It's all part of the story.

It has now been moved to its own thread :)

Regards,
Matt

Now I believe the Dunning/Kruger effect has been cursed on me....

I seem to be getting stupider by the Day....like I canno't think anymore. And I am worried.

Most basic faults are slowing me down :wideyed:. Something happening that I don't understand...I believe that the fired one has done a Voodoo spell/thing on me.

For some crazy reason I believe that he would do something like that.

Remember, he got himself fired by beating up a fellow employee.....I was on Holiday when it happened...far, far away...

I have to work through this crap :mad:. Once again.

Regards,
tvtech

Now I believe the Dunning/Kruger effect has been cursed on me....
I seem to be getting stupider by the Day....like I canno't think anymore. And I am worried.

Some days are like that, I have them myself.
You just have to let it work itself out and take extra care not to do anything really bad while you are in the twilight zone.

JimB

Resurrection of the dead and dying; I decided to go back to school. While doing so; I feel like I'm "17" again making every dumb mistake at work. I can tell you I'm not a multi-tasker. I do one thing and then move to the next.

Today work was "hell" in a hand basket. I marked the wires all wrong and then I soldered them up "so" pretty *LOL* :confused:

Don't feel to bad "TV" it could be worse.

kv

LOL...I created a new thread called "Diode"....then I chickened out....sort of. And requested Mods to cull it. And they did...

Now I am back :wideyed:

I had a lot ready to post.....then culled the lot :p......

I can only handle so many pairs of tits at the same time. My hands are full :woot:

Please help me :eek:

Regards,
tvtech

PS: Kids out there.....a Tit is a little bird...in case you were wondering.

a Tit is a little bird
Of course it is.
Apparently the the name Tit derives from the old Icelandic word tittr meaning a small bird.

There are Bearded Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Crested Tits, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Marsh Tits and Willow Tits.
There may be others but that is all that my bird book lists.
I often see Great Tits in the holly tree in my front garden.

Amazing the stuff you learn here on ETO.

JimB

Of course it is.
Apparently the the name Tit derives from the old Icelandic word tittr meaning a small bird.

There are Bearded Tits, Blue Tits, Coal Tits, Crested Tits, Great Tits, Long Tailed Tits, Marsh Tits and Willow Tits.
There may be others but that is all that my bird book lists.
I often see Great Tits in the holly tree in my front garden.

Amazing the stuff you learn here on ETO.

JimB

I think what he was referring to is that it has become a crude anatomical reference among the younger generation rather than its original meaning.

Matt,

I'm sure they told you what assume means .... a$$ u me.

Of course those that use the language can always get a rise out of those who only know the contemporary definition of the word. I've seen it many times in a forum when I was a moderator.

Like all others, I am responsible for what I write; not what you comprehend.

Maybe I should have said: "I can only handle so many pairs of Paridae at the same time. My hands are full"

From Wikipaedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tit_(bird)

Just doesn't sound right though. IMHO, once a tit, always a tit.

Regards,
tvtech

Last edited:
Todays contemporary use of words is difficult to say the least. Here is a couple I've been laughed at for using among certain young individuals.

"Junk" is not "Junk" anymore.

"Thongs" are not "Flip Flops or sandals anymore"

I hate it when I can't speak to someone normally without them finding some stupid word association. They create these stupid idiotic word associations just to make my life even more difficult than it needs to be.

Living across the pond I'm sure you guys have it bad too !

Lol. Between US english, UK english, and Aussie english, there's a whole world of misunderstanding. In the UK, "thong" has never meant flip flop, but it always used to mean a strip of leather to tie things with, "rubber" has never meant condom, but a thing for erasing pencil. I'm told that in Oz "durex" means "sellotape" though that was many years ago. UK "pavement" means US "sidewalk", but we don't have a separate word for US "pavement" and have to fudge around to say what we mean on the occasions when "road" doesn't quite convey it.

And that's before you have the changes made by the young. I have to laugh at "hench" - meaning big and strong. Heard it from the grandkids last year, thought they made it up themselves, then I heard it on the radio. Ho hum.

I just regard that we really speak separate languages that share most of the same words.

TV, do little birds always come in pairs where you live, then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back