Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermocouple generators

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm come to think of it I have a 20 volt 100 watt motor from an old photocopier. that has it's own two sets of in built gears. one is real slow i think 70 rpm and the other faster so I can use the most appropriate. the slow one was fow the glass to be slid up and down with the page on it ( a funny method think it was to make the copier smaller) and the other ram the cooling fan.
just have to hope it is a permanent magnet type

Thunderchild said:
as I recall it was a copper and nikel plate joined together that when heated by a flame would generate power. is this practical and with what other metals can I do it. I presume that they can be connected in series so enven if one volt is generated I can make 12/13 volts by putting then in series.

What you describe is a "thermoelectric generator". It is based on the Seebeck effect, which is the same as Peltier effect but used in reverse. In fact, Peltier cooling modules are effective thermoelectric generators in themselves.

A Peltier module is capable of far, far more power than many copper/nickle junctions. Thermocouple wire has a much more powerful Seebeck coefficient than copper/nickle and can sustain higher temps. But the Peltier modules are still far more powerful and practical.

Of course "powerful" is a relative thing. The power output depends on the difference between hot and cold sides. The maximum temp the module can sustain on the hot side is the biggest limiting factor. The cold side must have a GREAT heatsink to keep the cold side as close to ambient temp as possible or the power output goes to hell. Works far better in arctic conditions.

Great practical reference:
https://www.ferrotec.com/usa/thermoelectric/ref/3ref13.htm

A device capable of a few watts of power requires a significant heat source and very large heatsink. Fan-cooled sink would be great, but it's easy to spend the device's entire power output just running the fan.

Our deep space probes, which are too far from the sun to effectively utilize solar cells, are powered by thermoelectric generators. The heat source is plutonium. They don't use the radiation in any special way, it's so radiactive it heats the hot side up. A very elaborate candle.

Russia made a bunch of nuclear cesium isotope thermoelectric generators, but for terrestrial use, generally to power navigational beacons in very remote unmanned locations that could not be powered any other way. Scary truth is many of them were never accounted for, nor is there even an accurate estimate of the number produced. Some have been "stubled" across acually melting the snow with just the heat of the radiation. So don't build one of those!

oh I dunno , there was that young kid stateside who built a breeder reactor in his garden shed as I recall.

The thermoelectric generator based on Peltier devices is not too expensive. You can get modules for a few bucks and modules assembled on big ass heat sinks surplus for $20-$30. Add a candle and you've got something basic- too low a voltage by itself though. Needs a boost converter.

tansis said:
oh I dunno , there was that young kid stateside who built a breeder reactor in his garden shed as I recall.

That would be:
https://www.dangerouslaboratories.org/radscout.html

WoW,
That kid nearly made a nuclear bomb in his mother's shed! :lol:

Oh yeah these guys https://www.hi-z.com/ make modules designed for thermoelectric generation. The main thing is they're good for up to 250C continuous and 450C intermittent. That wattage is given for an 85F cold side temp which would probably require liquid cooling since keeping the mating surface at 85F while hundreds of watts of heat is flowing through it is otherwise virtually impossible.

Oh yeah these guys http://www.hi-z.com/ make modules designed for thermoelectric generation. The main thing is they're good for up to 250C continuous and 450C intermittent. That wattage is given for an 85F cold side temp which would probably require liquid cooling since keeping the mating surface at 85F while hundreds of watts of heat is flowing through it is otherwise virtually impossible.

I was wondering how they did that then it hit me -- Quantum dots ..

**broken link removed**

Attachments

• dots.jpg
    dots.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 199
The quantum dot thing is a theoretical proposal. The actual devices out there use junctions of P and N material.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back