Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermistor in a water heater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wond3rboy

Hi, i got a friend of mine to buy a few thermistors from the local electronics market for me of varying values. I bought them for this thermistor demonstration that i am supposed to give to students about how the thermistor works. The assembly that i have available consists of a water heater with a thermometer. I have one of those insulated wire thermistors, can i use it to measure the temperature of the water by simply suspending it in the water? I am wanting to use that assembly because i can check out the actual temperature with the thermometer and make comparisions.

Also i have got a few questions/confirmation about reading the value of thermistors(dont wanna be giving the wrong information). This is what is written and what i have interpreted:

102: 1Kohm (using the multimeter gives me a resistance of around 1.2k at 16 degrees C.
105: 10Kohm (gives me a resistance of 545K at 16 degrees C)
E5R110: ?? (it reads 5.6ohms at the same temp)

I have uploaded a picture of the insulated wire thermistors.

I wish we had actual manufacturer part numbers. I will send you here: https://www.bapihvac.com/sensor-specs/

You didn't say anything about you measuring the thermisters in the water or air. Thermisters could be affected by self heating (your meter) and they could be affected by the resistance of the impure water (a parallel path).

I'm even confused. You can have NTC and PTC thermisters. Basically, does reistance go down or up with increasing temperature.

Thermisters are non-linear and there are standard types, but there a lots of them.

There are also RTD's and they have low values.

Hi, oops sorry for that. The thermistors i have are NTC ones. I intend to measure the temperature of the water(with it being controllable and monitorable[dont think this is a correct word]). I am sure these are thermistors. Thanks for the link, atleast got some curves to get working on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back