Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Thermistor help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

curry87

Ive got a 2 pin 100k ntc thermistor that i want to use to shutoff a mosfet if it were to overheat.How do i calculate the expected resistance of the thermistor when it is over 60c ?

They look like pretty standard leaded epoxy coated thermistors. Without a data sheet there is no way to know the actual temperature to resistance curve. Your best bet would use a source of heat to heat it and at the same time compare it to a good standard thermometer or temperature measuring device. At 60 Degrees C note the resistance of it.

Ron

If there's no part number or information then just heat it in water at 60C and measure its resistance.

Edit: Ron beat me to the punch. :)

Last edited:
Forgot to add it has B constant = 4850K if that helps ?
hi,
This formula will give you a close approximation.
Rdiff = R25 * Exp(-Beta * ((1 / (273 + 25)) - (1 / (273 + 60))))

Rdiff = 100000 * Exp(-4850 * ((1 / (273 + 25)) - (1 / (273 + 60)))) = 18K at 60C

28.37K at 50C
7.9K at 70C

Hi,

Usually the B constant is given at 25 degrees C but you should check it if you can find it to make sure.

The formula given by Eric looks like the formula i've used in the past and it works pretty well. You might also want to note that when measuring the voltage it causes in a voltage divider made with upper resistor R fixed and lower resistor the thermistor (or vice versa) the highest dv/dT occurs when R=RT, which for your thermistor would be 18k at 60 degrees C. It also produces a rather convenient voltage point being half the supply voltage at 60 deg C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back