Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Theory and practice of SCRs and PLLs

Status
Not open for further replies.

winterhunter

Hi everyone,

I know that I'm asking about two different types of component, but I have two questions and did not want to start two consecutive threads.

First, let's start with thyristors.
I've bought a couple of thyristors to use them as signal triggers, but I can't get them to work!

First, I know that thyristors do have an anode, a cathode and a base. But when looking into the documentation of the one I have (BRX49), I find that:
Pin 1: anode
Pin 2: anode
Pin 3: cathode

So how do I connect it???

Also, I've tried to do the following circuit, assuming pin 2 to be the gate, which does not work (even though I've measured the voltage at the gate, and it goes from <200 mV to ~2V when it detects a signal). However, the led stays off...

About PLL's, how do they work internally? I know they are used as frequency multipliers and to sync the clock on "large" chip, but what else are they used for?

Could also anyone please explain how do you use a PLL as a frequency multiplier? (A real world example with a part number would be greatly appreciated!).

Thanks a lot!

Regards,

Gonzalo

Attachments

• SCR_Test.jpg
    SCR_Test.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 266
hi gonzalo,
Even though the gate voltage measures 2v or so to ground, it will not be so if you measure from the gate to the top of the LED connected to the SCR.

Place your LED and resistor in the 'top' line, apply the 2v to the gate and ground.

Eric

Last edited:
The LED won't turn on until the gate of the SCR reaches about 2.6V (depending what colour LED you used).

150:eek:hm: is a bit large for R1 and R3 is a bit too big for an LED. R1 shoud be around 10k and R3 should be around 270:eek:hm: to 330:eek:hm:. Check the minimum holding current for the SCR, it won't stay on if the current falls below below a certain value.

PLLs are a totally different part to SCRs, a tutorial can be found **broken link removed**.

Hi;

A problem using SCR devices in DC applications is in how to turn them off once they fire on. Your circuit once fired on will stay on forever until you remove Vcc from circuit, as the base then has no further control of the device. Should be plenty of info via google on using these devices.

PLL are phase comparator circuits. They take two frequency inputs, a reference frequency and a controlled frequency. The controlled frequency is divided down either inside the PLL chip or externally to be a close match to the reference freq. The phase comparator drives a DC filter that controls a VCO (voltage controlled oscillator) that runs at the controlled frequency.
So in effect the PLL chip multiplies the the reference frequency by the divisor value. These chips vary in what features are available internally and if designed for micro interfacing and the frequency range of operation.

Lefty

Gonzalo,
I use embedded (in SoCs) PLLs every day to multiply an external crystal frequency to higher CPU frequencies. Can't really say I've delved into the math - I just set a multiply factor in my software, wait for lock and switch over. But I can point you to a couple of sources for PLL information at **broken link removed**. Hope that helps.
Regards,
Mike Stanley
https://www.eehomepage.com

Trigger SCR

**broken link removed**
I am sorry, I make a mistake! SW1 must be always closed.
when D2 in dark, adjust R6 so that Veb of Q2 less than 0,6v
when in bright , Q2 certainly in saturated state.
chose R4 depending kind of scr Q1.
Push SW1 to disconet LED D1 ( D2 must be in dark).
Sory! I can not post a image scr.jpg.
Are there anyone help me?
Contact to me incase anyone want to get a picture by mail:
duongnguyen1968@yahoo.com

Last edited:
Image tags only work if the file is stored somewhere on the Internet. You need to upload it somewhere, preferably to this place.

Also, it isn't a good idea to post your email address as you'll be inundated with spam.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back