Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the transistor as a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonaiko

I have 2 nodes that has 13v RMS voltage difference in the idle situation.
I want to control those 2 nodes by PC such that when i produce a 5v from my parallel port a short circuit between those 2 nodes must happen.

how can i do that?
I will ask again in a different way:
- 2 nodes, have 13v RMS in the usual state (normal state).
- when i turn on a voltage source i have (PC parallel port) with 5v i want the two nodes to be shorted.
- else (when im supplying 0v) from my PC, i want them to have their 13v RMS difference.

can u help me guys?
I thought of using the transistor as a switch, putting a 1v between B and E so that it is ON, and i put the 5v from PC between E and B (+ve is on E side) so it becomes OFF when i supply the 5v. But it doesnt work becoz the terminals will have the baising value not the origional value they have.

what should i do plz help?

can u help me guys?
I thought of using the transistor as a switch, putting a 1v between B and E so that it is ON, and i put the 5v from PC between E and B (+ve is on E side) so it becomes OFF when i supply the 5v. But it doesnt work becoz the terminals will have the baising value not the origional value they have.

Your idea of how to turn on and off transistors is wrong.

THIS pic might be of interest

Attachments

• portout.gif
    portout.gif
    3.1 KB · Views: 582
An optically isolated Triac will join together two AC signals if you can tolerate the voltage drop.
A relay will do the trick even better. :lol:

sonaiko said:

For a start, how about actually telling us EXACTLY! what you are wanting to do?. This 'nodes' rubbish is no use whatsoever!.

An obvious simple solution is to use a transistor driver feeding a relay, which would work for almost anything - but you still need to select a suitable relay!.

audioguru said:
An optically isolated Triac will join together two AC signals if you can tolerate the voltage drop.
A relay will do the trick even better. :lol:

Or a Solid State Relay, if you want faster response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back