Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the supplier with most component choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thunderchild

I've been looking high and low on RS for a decent 10+ A 20+ V 0.5- Vf diode and frankly the choice on RS is terrible !!! they do not seem to have much choice in componenets at all ! Farnell seem to have a better search function and more choice, is this just my imagination ? who do you normally use ? who provides the most choice ? its rather difficult trying to design something particular and not be able to find parts that meet your needs is it ?

Digikey has a better selection. But they are in North America.

In North America, Digikey definitely has the best selection. But frequently Mouser will have lower prices, if they stock the same part.

Electronic parts are very inexpensive. If you order from Digikey before 8:00PM then the shipment is delivered to you the next morning.

Electronic parts are very inexpensive. If you order from Digikey before 8:00PM then the shipment is delivered to you the next morning.

It will be shipped the next moring, but not delivered then. My last order took the customary six days for delivery by UPS ground.

If overnight is necessary, you can pay the big bucks and get it.

Of course, AG, you might get Digikey stuff sooner because you are much closer to Thief River Falls than I. LOL

Yeah, it really depends where you live. Where I live, standard UPS ground shipping from Mouser arrives next day without fail. Of course, they are a 3 hour drive up the interstate highway from me. Digikey is usually 5 days or so, but they are several states away.

Last edited:
Pull apart any old PC power supply. The TO-220 schottky diodes are usually good for 10A+ and 20v+ and are less than 0.5v when conducting. The TO-220 is also usually a dual diode, you can just connect the outside pins to parallel the 2 diodes.

I've been looking high and low on RS for a decent 10+ A 20+ V 0.5- Vf diode and frankly the choice on RS is terrible !!! they do not seem to have much choice in componenets at all !
Not many components?
Are you crazy, they have 140 different diodes. Look here:
Semiconductors | Discretes | Diodes

Farnell seem to have a better search function and more choice, is this just my imagination ?
Farnell is easier to search for some things.

who do you normally use ? who provides the most choice ? its rather difficult trying to design something particular and not be able to find parts that meet your needs is it ?
I use both RS and Farnell, they both dont stock exactly the same items, if one does not have what I want, I try the other.

For our American readers, in this context RS is RS Components, not Rat Shack!
And for those old enough to remember, RS Components was originally called RadioSpares.

JimB

A huge selection of parts is useless if they don't have a good search engine. In that respect, DigiKey is king, with the most selectable attributes in their search engine.

Yeah, it really depends where you live. Where I live, standard UPS ground shipping from Mouser arrives next day without fail. Of course, they are a 3 hour drive up the interstate highway from me. Digikey is usually 5 days or so, but they are several states away.
Digikey in the US will ship up to 1/2 lb first class mail for $2.50. An option if you only need a few parts.

I ordered on Tuesday and it came on Thursday. Not bad for a 1000 mile trip.

3v0

A huge selection of parts is useless if they don't have a good search engine. In that respect, DigiKey is king, with the most selectable attributes in their search engine.

very true, yes RS have tons of parts but nothing of those i want ! every diode from RS capable of the current I want has an If of well over 1 V !!! some 2+ V absolutely useless

Digikey in the US will ship up to 1/2 lb first class mail for $2.50. An option if you only need a few parts.

I ordered on Tuesday and it came on Thursday. Not bad for a 1000 mile trip.

3v0

Wow, I didn't know that. Their rate schedule upon ordering doesn't show that... or if it does I've been missing it. My last order, certainly under 1/2 pound, cost $7.51 to ship via UPS. Shipped out 9/3 and arrived 9/9.

If you really need a Vf of 0.5V or less at 10A and 20+V, consider "active rectification". If you can find or create a control voltage, a <50mohm MOSFET will do the job even better than a diode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back