Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Secret Life of Machines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero999

Banned
Anyone remember this programme?

I thought it was great and I was only about 10 when it was on. I remember the burning TVs lol.

secret life of machines 1

I'm downloading it and I'll probably appreciate it more now I'm grown up.:D

Here's a link:
**broken link removed**

3.7GB is going to take ages at 120kB/s, I think my ISP limits bittorrent bandwidth, I normally get at least 1MB/s when normally donloading from the Internet.:(

Last edited:
It ran from 1988 to 1993 in the UK.

It's a shame they stopped making it, I wonder why? Poor ratings? Surly the educators loved it.

I loved that show! They started showing it on Discovery in the early days of the channel's existance. All good things come to an end eventually. When I saw Junkyard Wars, also a british creation if I'm not mistaken, I was hooked immediately. But it ended too. These days, seems like Discovery has only two shows: Dirty Jobs and Myth Busters.

I loved that show and the early version of junkyard wars too!
Junkyard wars was great before everything be came so obviously staged and limited for safety reasons in the americanized version.
But still my states former governor Ed Shafer was on it! Shows how we still have politicians who can relate to typical farm life and the common man. Probably why our state isn't bankrupt but is putting a few hundred million a year in the bank despite our small population!:D

Thanks for the torrent link. One of my buddies will be getting 'The secret life of machines' DVD as a birthday present now. :D

I loved that show! They started showing it on Discovery in the early days of the channel's existance. All good things come to an end eventually. When I saw Junkyard Wars, also a british creation if I'm not mistaken, I was hooked immediately. But it ended too. These days, seems like Discovery has only two shows: Dirty Jobs and Myth Busters.

'Junkyard Wars' was originally called 'Scrapheap Challenge' over here - I loved the International one where they had to make an airplane - did the Brit's kick ass or what! :p

Mind you, the pilot of the British aircraft was a bit on the crazy side :D

Thanks for the torrent link. One of my buddies will be getting 'The secret life of machines' DVD as a birthday present now. :D
Yes, I normally don't post stuff like that because it gets deleted but, it's all right in this case as the producer of the programme, Tim Hunkin, posted the link on his site along with other links to downloads of his show.

I've downloaded and watched a couple of episodes.

The quality wasn't great but I accept that it's something someone's probably ripped from a video cassette.

I liked the one about the vacuum cleaner, especially the inflatables and ending sequence. It reminds me of the inflater device I made from an old vacuum cleaner motor which would inflate an air bed in less than a minute. I think I'm going to have to resurrect it, I took it to pieces. :(

I didn't think so much of the one about central heating, probably because the subject doesn't interest me so much but I think it was more what was missing, I would have liked to explanation of the pump and how the water is circulated, perhaps it was in an animation I missed. I'll watch it again.

I've yet to watch any of the other episodes. I think I'll save the one with the burning TVs last, it must've been over 21 years since I saw that yet I still remember it, I suppose me as a six year old would find burning and blowing up .:D

But still my states former governor Ed Shafer was on it! Shows how we still have politicians who can relate to typical farm life and the common man. Probably why our state isn't bankrupt but is putting a few hundred million a year in the bank despite our small population!:D
I expect the taxes on all that oil they are pumping helps too. :D

These days, seems like Discovery has only two shows: Dirty Jobs and Myth Busters.

Ah pshaw, Have you not seen the much acclaimed Planet Earth series? Now the makers of Planet Earth are bringing us a new Mini series entitled Life starting March 21, on the Discovery channel.

I expect the taxes on all that oil they are pumping helps too. :D

And we haven't even started yet.:eek::D

The word floating around now is there may be close to 1 trillion barrels in all of the fields combined. The Bakken field, the one that gets all the attention North Dakota oil patch is booming | Minnesota Public Radio NewsQ , is now estimated at around 400+ billion barrels and that number keeps climbing every time they expand the survey area. Plus we have several other lesser fields that dont get as much attention that are estimated to likely hold as much as the primary Bakken deposit does. :)

Now we are putting up wind generators like crazy too! :D There is an order for 200 more to go in a few tens of miles north of where I live now. We got 80+ last summer just a few miles south west of where I live. Local talk is that they may put in a few thousand more in the next 10 years. Around here they work well and pay for themselves in very short time frames. :)

Drill an oil well put up a wind generator, drill an oil well put up a wind generator, drill an oil well put up a wind generator.
Yea we know whats highly profitable and needed at the same time. ;)

As a state we may have to quit farming just for the tax write offs! :eek: :D

Ah pshaw, Have you not seen the much acclaimed Planet Earth series? Now the makers of Planet Earth are bringing us a new Mini series entitled Life starting March 21, on the Discovery channel.

That would be great if they bring out more science and tech shows that are just about science and technology and leave the over the top drama and news worthy scaremongering hype out of it.

I watched a show on Yellowstone national park a few years ago that was more scaremongering hype than real honest natural science. I was disappointed over all but its not the first time I have seen shows like that.
They teach a little and scare a lot which is good for ratings but rather bad for the science side of it. :(

True, I did see that same Yellow stone episode and agree it was a sky is falling episode. If the series Life is anything like Planet Earth, then we should be for a treat of magnificent cinematography and breath taking film clips from high as Mount Everest to the deep dark recesses of the undersea world.

Last edited:

Having been laid up for most of the week, I've watched more TV in the last few days than the last few months. Every time I turn to Discovery, they seem to be showing one of two shows. Also noticed that as I'm home more now since I'm not a corporate employee and have discovery on much of the time. I can't get over how much they show the same two shows over and over and over and... Good grief, don't they think people want to see something else?

PS: Don't get me wrong, I do like those shows, but one can get too much of a good thing.

Last edited:
Life was on last year on BBC, I though it was great, but unfortunately I didn't see all of the episodes.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back