Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The plan is to put outdoor antenna , need indictor circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrel

Hello
Anyone have idea for a circuit that can show an outdoor antenna point at what area.
I would use a DC voltage to turn the motor that turn antenna from inside the house.
The question is there place to find a circuit show where something is point at from indoor using some led or ir circuit.
Thank for any good help.
mrel

If you want to do it yourself then consider using an optical encoder or build your own based on a pot circuit driven by the mast shaft rotation. The pot provides an analog output proportional to direction. If you want a canned complete out of the box solution then Google "Antenna Rotor" for store bought solutions.

Ron

The Eagle Aspen ROTR-100 isn't too bad of a system. I took one apart to take a peak. There are limits switches which are greater than 360 degrees apart, an org sensor and it uses the satellite dish positioning protocol. The control box presets can be programmed so the antenna goes to a position based on channel, not position.

If you want to do it yourself then consider using an optical encoder or build your own based on a pot circuit driven by the mast shaft rotation. The pot provides an analog output proportional to direction. If you want a canned complete out of the box solution then Google "Antenna Rotor" for store bought solutions.

Ron

Ron
Where is that optical encoder circuit and pot circuit,show me where i find that that website.
mrel

The Eagle Aspen ROTR-100 isn't too bad of a system. I took one apart to take a peak. There are limits switches which are greater than 360 degrees apart, an org sensor and it uses the satellite dish positioning protocol. The control box presets can be programmed so the antenna goes to a position based on channel, not position.

KeepIT SimpleStupid
Please show the circuit so can decide build or not.
mrel

Yeah, and considering the cost I can't likely build one for what they cost. :)

Ron
Yes, the point being its been done before nothing new.
Using a rotory encoder would be over kill and expensive.
Using a pot encoder could become unreliable over time.
I would use a simple optical sensor and a cut disc. Midway thru the gear chain for increased accuracy . Unless reading as many slots as you can put on the mast its self is close enough.

Yes, the point being its been done before nothing new.
Using a rotory encoder would be over kill and expensive.
Using a pot encoder could become unreliable over time.
I would use a simple optical sensor and a cut disc. Midway thru the gear chain for increased accuracy . Unless reading as many slots as you can put on the mast its self is close enough.

4pyros
where is simple optical sensor circuit you talk about,with out plan cannot build.
mrel

mrel, we get that you want to build something :) The information others have provided should be a great starting point for internet searches - turning a well laid out schematic to a working circuit is a fairly straight forward part of electronics. Although it often happens, I don't think you will get someone to spend the time taken to design what you want completely from scratch when I'm sure there are probably example projects of a similar function on the internet. You can copy/modify/adapt these or design your own from scratch. Often the quickest and cheapest way is to do a bit of both - modify something that has already been designed and documented using your own idea's.

A huge part of my projects, and work, is research. And god bless the internet as it makes life so much easier. Learning to google effectively is almost a part of engineering in itself :)

Last edited:
Google for "Gilham code".

There you'll find what you are looking for.

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back