Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The paper wars: cheap magazine paper vs rip-off proprietary paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ha. Ya, this thread title could have been a little less inflammatory.

After my experiment with the pulsar paper, I'm less interested in a method that totally releases the toner. It appears that if I have some of the 'paper' left on my traces, it helps seal my toner better.

I end up getting a board looking like this, before etching:

**broken link removed**

Are you saying that paper in the toner works better then the green TRF ?

I was told that the TRF would not help with the issue I was having with pinholing, so if that's the case, then yes, I'm saying it's better than green TRF.

EDIT: I'm saying this is my experience with my printer and not necessarily better for everyone as obviously other people aren't getting this problem from the Pulsar paper.

Last edited:
I was told that the TRF would not help with the issue I was having with pinholing, so if that's the case, then yes, I'm saying it's better than green TRF.

EDIT: I'm saying this is my experience with my printer and not necessarily better for everyone as obviously other people aren't getting this problem from the Pulsar paper.

The trick is to get the printer to deliver enough toner. This has been an issue since I ran into toner transfer about 20 years ago. At one time you could buy special toner just for toner transfer but I expect the volume was too low to keep it profitable. That and too many printer types to cover.

Some people use 2 cartridges, print PCBs with the new cartridge and the rest with the old.

The second is to make sure you have your printer set for the maximum toner density. (obvious)

My HP 1020 will do a good job with anything but an empty cartridge if I use a hatch pattern for fill and pours.

3v0

As I've already stated, my printer is already set for heaviest printing. I downloaded that ljconfig utility a while ago, because the HP utility that comes with my printer doesn't work with Vista. I also stated that I use two print cartridges. My old cartridge prints just as heavy, but it streeks.

I bought the Pulsar paper to hopefully get away from scrubbing the photo paper off the board, but I'm not buying a new printer for it to work, especially if I also need to get that green foil for it to work just as well.

It's not a big deal to me. It still works well as a silkscreen. I've never been big on the silkscreens before, but since this comes off so easily, I'll probably use it for that.

As I've already stated, my printer is already set for heaviest printing. I downloaded that ljconfig utility a while ago, because the HP utility that comes with my printer doesn't work with Vista. I also stated that I use two print cartridges. My old cartridge prints just as heavy, but it streeks.

I bought the Pulsar paper to hopefully get away from scrubbing the photo paper off the board, but I'm not buying a new printer for it to work, especially if I also need to get that green foil for it to work just as well.

It's not a big deal to me. It still works well as a silkscreen. I've never been big on the silkscreens before, but since this comes off so easily, I'll probably use it for that.

Streaks? Ever have magazine :) paper jam in your printer? Might not have gotten it all out. If it's an old printer, might need cleaning. Toner is some messy stuff, gets into everything, eventually builds up in inconvenient places... Do you get streaking on other papers, or just the Pulsar paper?

Harvey's printer only streaks with the one cartridge.

I said this in my previous post but it may have gotten lost in the shuffle. If your PCB layout program allows it (Eagle does) try using hatch pattern for fill and pours. It may
allow the printer to deliver enough toner to the traces
to allow you to use the pulsar paper.

3v0

Streaks? Ever have magazine :) paper jam in your printer? Might not have gotten it all out. If it's an old printer, might need cleaning. Toner is some messy stuff, gets into everything, eventually builds up in inconvenient places... Do you get streaking on other papers, or just the Pulsar paper?

Streaking is common on older cartridges when the brushes fail. The old cartridge is actually old, since I really don't use this printer for much. The cartridge succumbed to age before it ran out of toner. When I bought my new cartridge, I noticed they even changed the coding on it.

I have the same printer and this gives me the most toner setting it to print
text black

Attachments

• best tonner.PNG
    best tonner.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 266
I guess equal and heavy toner distribution is a matter of the printer driver software.

The same issues come up when printing on transparencies for photo films. Many laser printers cut back on toner automatically if there are large fully black areas to print. (The larger the area the more faint will be the print)

My Epson EQL5700 had the option to select toner saving or full toner all over a print.

Using the full toner option the print was deep black over the entire layout.

I'm now using a (cheaper) Fuji-Xerox Docuprint 203A which doesn't offer that option (always prints full toner) and it prints a full DIN-A4 page fully black without any change in toner density. (checked on a light table with a transpararency)

Run a test and check what has to be changed. I wouldn't change toner cartrigdes for a satisfying print result. I'd consider that piece of equipment junk!

Boncuk

Some people use 2 cartridges, print PCBs with the new cartridge and the rest with the old.
The second is to make sure you have your printer set for the maximum toner density. (obvious)
....3v0

Better approach, such that for normal printing, we can even use refilled cartridges.

Better approach, such that for normal printing, we can even use refilled cartridges.

Don't use refills or other brands of cartridges.

I did it and had to pressure blow all toner out of the printer because of a broken cartridge.

Don't use refills or other brands of cartridges.

I did it and had to pressure blow all toner out of the printer because of a broken cartridge.
Thanks Boncuk for advance warning. Here in India, the HP cartridges for my HP P1007 are at 65% of the cost of printer itself.
Let me see what best we can manage. I generally keep economy mode for all other jobs and resort to dark print only for TTS artwork.

i think i found the solution to your problems...it is called teflon sheets! if you find it interesting idea i'm expecting lot's of positive reputation points... :D

Last edited:
It sounds like it would have the same problem as parchment paper. Toner isn't going to stick to teflon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back