Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Oscilloscope [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectroMaster

Administrator
ElectroMaster submitted a new article:

The Oscilloscope - The oscilloscope is basically a graph-displaying device - it draws a graph of an electrical signal.

The oscilloscope is basically a graph-displaying device - it draws a graph of an electrical signal. In most applications the graph shows how signals change over time: the vertical (Y) axis represents voltage and the horizontal (X) axis represents time. The intensity or brightness of the display is sometimes called the Z axis. (See Figure 1.) This simple graph can tell you many things about a signal. Here are a few:
  • You can determine the time and voltage values of a signal.
  • You...

Read more about this article...

I've used a scope for many useful things.

I wanted to evaluate the precision of HDD read/write heads for production, and ability to reject adjacent track signals especially if the servo moved off track. So I used a triangle generator to inject an error signal into the servo position error loop and used that for the X axis in XY mode and observed the ratio of Read signal modulation and crosstalk from adjacent tracks using extreme +/- % track offsets.

This same method I used in early days to get a linear graph of a high Q BPF and notch filter.

In some most cases analog scopes had a Z axis for modulation of the trace intensity and if biased correctly could be used to display video images with a vertical and horizontal sweep sawtooth to control X & Y while the video sync tip would blank the retrace just like a TV.

WIth a spectrum analyzer you can see the modulation in zero sweep mode, but if you put the video out into a scope , you can see it again and hear it with vertical channel Output on the back into high impedance headphones.

When I was doing drop tests with production 5.25" HDD's in packing material, I used accelerometers but uncertain of its calibration so I used storage mode and used the -1g vertical drop to calibrate the output on DC couple mode somI could record the DUT shock in the pack in +g's. After confirming what I expected,,I then discovered a convenient formulas for predicting 'g' level .

g shock level = drop height / stop height. = deacceleration / acceleration ratio in g's.
assuming a linear initial response.

So 1m drop into 1cm stop =100 g

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back