Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The old B+ trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

killivolt

Any old TV repair guy's out there who can tell me exactly how it's done. Please with details.

Thanks KV

Ok , KV I'll give you what you need.............. OFF the emitter make a series ciucuit connection on the main feeding the tranformer. But be careful that you don't come into contact with the output. Also running this for long periods of time may expose you to harmful Radiation ? But it is a great tool to have to test parts without damaging them under the right condition.

Thanks KV for taking the time to help me...

I think they all went to their reward sometime in the last decade.

Gotta red eye Square and haven't been but a couple day's. I must hold the record ? All I had to do is ask a question with which was answered by myself ? What more should I expect. Thanks for the comforting shoulders.
And papa what the heck do you mean ?

I think they all went to their reward sometime in the last decade.

I mean all the guys that used the trick or knew about the trick have passed from this world to the next. It is a fairly common colloquial expression. What did you think I meant?

BTW this year marks the 60th anniversary of the announcement of the invention of the transistor. I stll remember making a CPO with a CK722.

Last edited:
Gottcha, God I got along way to go not enough time to get their.
I guess it's time to go back to the bench, But befor that Maybe I'll get my reward too !

Thank you and Please remember to smile.

Well this is interesting,
but somewhat short on clarity.

Maybe many know what this is about,
but i am struggling to get some sort of handle
on this old B+ trick ... ?

John :)

Papabravo said:
I mean all the guys that used the trick or knew about the trick have passed from this world to the next. It is a fairly common colloquial expression. What did you think I meant?

BTW this year marks the 60th anniversary of the announcement of the invention of the transistor. I stll remember making a CPO with a CK722.
Me too! I think I paid $4.00 for it when I was a teenager.

Sometime's it's fun when you don't know where your goin. Then it becomes about the journey and not the destination. LOL

john1 said:
Maybe many know what this is about,
but i am struggling to get some sort of handle
on this old B+ trick ... ?

Well I'm an 'old TV engineer' and I've no idea what he's talking about?.

BTW, B+ isn't all that old, the main HT rail has only been called that in relatively 'modern' times - 80's or 90's?.

But seeing as he's not talking about TV's, I don't see what use it would be to him anyway?.

Why don't you talk to me instead of about me ?

Nigel Goodwin said:
Well I'm an 'old TV engineer' and I've no idea what he's talking about?.

BTW, B+ isn't all that old, the main HT rail has only been called that in relatively 'modern' times - 80's or 90's?.

But seeing as he's not talking about TV's, I don't see what use it would be to him anyway?.
Gee, and here I thought it was the main positve supply for the plate in a tube circuit. I also thought it came from a time when even tube radios were battery operated. The 20's and 30's seems like a more resonable estimate of the time when that terminology was widely used.

Papabravo said:
Gee, and here I thought it was the main positve supply for the plate in a tube circuit. I also thought it came from a time when even tube radios were battery operated. The 20's and 30's seems like a more resonable estimate of the time when that terminology was widely used.

Perhaps it was an American term from back then?, I've never seen it used in old UK valve gear as far as I can remember - I'll have to dig some manuals out and have a look! :D

You guy's are a great bunch. Now I remember why I didn't like working with Engineers they never listen ?

It's simple just taken a 13" chassis out of an old Zenith TV and runnin the HV without a tube and drawing and arc ? I've done it on one chassis for day's without burning up the H.O.T. But with an earlier chassis I can't it overheats ?

The other concern is if it's not a balanced load to the circuit design can it possibly run this way for a duration of day's ? I can measure thermal temp of the H.O.T and play around with wattage of the bulb ?

To be honest, I wouldn't expect most sets to survive that kind of abuse, it's liable to get too hot if you overload the line output stage - there's quite a lot of information about people making these on the internet, and they often suggest which transformers are best.

Personally I would suggest winding your own, rather than using something too under powered for the job.

Nigel Goodwin said:

Nigel you have obviously been moving in the wrong circles.

A+ the filament (heater) supply.

B+ the HT (anode) supply.

C- the grid bias supply.

On edit: refering to another of Nigels posts, these are probably American terms. In the UK I think we just used LT, HT and GB to refer to the three supplies.

And i have no idea what "the old B+ trick" is either.

JimB

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back