Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The Most Common (Switched) Voltage Regulators?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DigiTan

From experience, which switched V regulators would you say are most common for general-purpose use?

Basically, I mean devices that rival the 78xx, 2931 or 317 families in terms of widespread use. Things that come in similar IC packages as those and require few external components. If you just want to list a favorite, or have more than one topology in mind feel free to list them all.

Its not a switching regulators but you can build such regulator with their help.
And they are very popularL
TL494 (car audio power amplifiers and old AT/ ATX PC supply)
SG3525
uc3842 ( Flyback )
MC34063

Last edited:
As you mentioned linear regulators, I'm assuming we're talking 'buck' here?

Considering the hassle working with switching regulators (extra parts, conducted noise, radiated noise) I don't have a 'default and easy' regulator I use. Although as far as 'common' goes, the MC34063 springs to mind. Not the best efficiency in the world, but every circuit I've built with it has worked like a charm. It's found in countless 'in car' chargers, console adapters, PC motherboards/cards, etc.. which require medium current regulation. Its everywhere.

National semi's 'simple switchers' would be up next for medium current bucks.

Everything else *I* have used has either been high efficiency boost (portable apps that need 12-36V from batteries) or synchronous boost (MCP1640) for single cell to 3.3/5v apps. Just found what chip did the job as oppose to lean towards one brand/chip. - I know thats not 'what popular', just saying that, I'm not sure many engineers would stick with 'one solution' given the vast number of different chips available, as well as the long list of parameters one uses to pick them.

damnit Jony....I only got one, he listed them all! uc3842 - found everywhere....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back