Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The + loop voltage of 4-20mA output

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorPS

What is the typical +loop voltage for a 4-20mA transmitter?
Is there any standard electrical specification about 4-20mA current loop?

Thank you, :)

This isn't a bad spot to read up on 4-20mA current loops: **broken link removed**

I don't know that there's a maximum open-loop voltage specification, but you sure don't want a constant current source to be able to work into any load resistance presented or you could get lethal! 40mA available with a 400V source would be nasty, reminiscent of a 1955 television set! Most peak out at around 24 volts or so, good for about 950 ohms of line resistance figuring a 5v output at the load at 20mA. 950 ohms represents a heck of a lot of wire!

Dean

Current loop Transmitters

The industry "de-facto" standard is a 24v supply for 2-wire 4 to 20mA transmitters. I have seen odd ones that state maximum voltage drops of 20v (EX rated - maybe a co-incidence, maybe part of the EX design ??).

Some transmitters insist on a minimum line resistance - we actually put resistors in series with the loop to provide this :shock: , most transmitters are happy with any loop resistance/supply voltage combination capable of providing 5v to the transmitter at full load (20mA).

If you measure the voltage across the transmitter (2-wire type) the voltage will be a function of the current - Ohm's law. Opening the loop will show the open-circuit supply voltage.

I want to monitor the current in an existing 4-20mA loop, which already have one transmitter and one receiver.
1. Can I put in series 250 ohm to get 1-5V drop, by doing so, will it affect the current loop & accuracy?
2. A 4-20mA transmitter can drive many receiver , if the +loop voltage is sufficient, am I right?
3. Is there any isolated 4-20mA receiver?
4. I need a circuit for "high side" current sensing, can anybody show me?

More on 4mA to 20mA loops

1. Can I put in series 250 Ohm to get 1-5V drop, by doing so, will it affect the current loop & accuracy?
This is normally OK - assuming the total loop impedance isn't too high
(250R is a common value because it gives a convenient output voltage).
If the loop impedance is too high the transmitter will probably be fine at low currents but "run out of headroom" for higher currents, a quick check-cal will show this.
2. A 4-20mA transmitter can drive many receiver , if the +loop voltage is sufficient, am I right?
Within reason. You need to get the transmitter's data sheet to be sure but as a guideline ...
If you assume the transmitter is designed for a 24v loop with no minimum impedance then :-
For one extreme, 24v across the transmitter at 4mA ... 24/4 = 6kOhm internal impedance;
For the other extreme, assuming at least 5v is required for the transmitter at 20mA ... 5/20 = 250Ohms internal impedance;
The difference is 5k75; this will be the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM additional loop impedance you can have.
3. Is there any isolated 4-20mA receiver?
Yes. If the indicator/controller needs this then an EX barrier (used for explosive area installations) gives the input complete galvanic isolation, these devices need a power supply though!
4. I need a circuit for "high side" current sensing, can anybody show me?
At its simplest a 4 to 20mA moving coil meter in the positive rail?
I assume the negative side is earthed or has some special condition to preclude measuring it. I don't see the problem here - more info needed.

I plan to convert the 4-20mA to 1-5V, using OPAMP and ADC on PIC12f675. Because I am taping the current in between existing transmitter & receiver, so I prefer not to ground it at the middle of the current loop.

Someone tell me, I need "high side current sensing", it may be just differential OPAMP as I think, I can build a simple one, but the linearity, gain , temperature , accuracy is a big question to me as I am poor in analog circuit design. So if someone have already design the circuit for 4-20mA (which for my case) will save me a lot of time. :D
May be I shall try first before asking for it. :oops:

Microcontroller A to D ?

If the A to D on the microcontroller will accept 5v then can you not wire up as per the attached diagram ?
This would allow a common negative between 24v supply and microcontroller 5v supply.

Attachments

• 20ma_loop.gif
    20ma_loop.gif
    2.6 KB · Views: 1,587
Will the setup work for me? With condition, I must have good separate ground to the existing system ground.

Attachments

• 4-20ma_setup.gif
    4-20ma_setup.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 1,332
Figure 1 requires all 3 grounds to be completely seperate.

Figure 2 does not require separation of the transmitter and micro grounds, only seperation of the receiver ground, thus I would prefer Figure 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back