Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The infamous Ti83 series. A purchase opportunity if it can be repaired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

()blivion

Hello every one.

I have an opportunity to get a Ti83+ silver edition for reasonably cheep, problem is..... it doesn't work. It's a $100+ calculator (new) if I can get it working. I'm sure what happened is the battery's leaked and corroded the PCB vies and traces, probably some minor parts also. This will require some fine soldering work, which I'm very accustom to and have no problem doing.

Thing is, I don't know if the PCB is multilayer or not. If some one has one or knows, could I steal this information from you? If it's just a two sided PCB, then even if half the traces are gone I can probably fix it. If it's multilayer..... forget it, impossible most likely.

Some pictures of the PCB would be nice, but I'll mostly rely on Google images for that if I can.

Thanks for reading.
-()blivion.

Methinks it is multilayer after looking at your photo's.

And therefore, not repairable :(

I might be wrong though. I certainly hope so. Nice calculator BTW.

I owned a HP11C as a student. And sold it. I regret my stupidity to this day.

Regards,
tvtech.

Last edited:
At least 4 layers I'm afraid. Unless the Via's are eaten away I would say have a go, but if there's more than just a wee bit of corrosion to them walk away from it :)

Yup, Some one I emailed earlier got back to me (that has one) and said it's multilayer also. So... I'm walking. (It was for 20$ on ebay, no real description)

Thanks for the input guys.

Not to suggest your completely off the mark Mr. Roman Black (I am some what familiar with your work BTW), but the lowest price I have found on Ebay was ~$40 + S&H. And as I'm sure you are aware, ebay is usually pretty good about that kind of stuff. They are still 100$ new and mostly still worth it is all I was saying. And from my experience, most electronic things when broken require very little effort to get working again.

But your 100% right, I would much prefer a working unit for the same price if I could swing such a deal. And even if i couldn't, I could always get **broken link removed** + **broken link removed** and with some finagling, make my very own calculator/computer that had far superior performance over any Ti83 (I don't think that shield is not 100% compatible with that devboard BTW). *OR* I could just... use my computer... :shrugs:

I like the Ti83's though, I had one when I was in high school. Call me nostalgic I guess. I still have the Z80 out of my old one I was thinking of playing with some day. I never did get to overclock it while it was still in the calc.

he he he.

Last edited:
Now THAT'S a calculator. LED display... what's that thing get Like 3 miles to the gallon (of batteries). Too bad you didn't have the TI-59 with the card reader though, that would be neat to play with. You should write a algo to benchmark yours. Then dip it in liquid helium and overclock the crap out of it. My father had a calculator with VFD for a screen. It had to be plugged into the wall though (Prolly predated batteries, lol). And my brother wants to build a computer entirely out of relays and that era of technology. I told him it's been done and then he lost interest.

Anyway, I consider this thread of discussion over with. No reason to keep it anymore. Could just rename it and turn it into a old calculator thread. I don't care either way. Thanks for the input guys. +1 for all.
-()blivion

Last edited:
The '83+ is fairly outdated anyway. I'm not sure if you're a student or not, but if you are you might have trouble keeping up with your class on that thing. Professors nowadays tend to use '84s or higher. Personally, I got a TI86 about three years ago for free (one of my coworkers found it in her classroom and nobody claimed it :D ), and was recently given a TI89. The only catch to getting the '89 was that I had to give my '86 to someone else who was in need ;)

Anyway, my point is that you might want to look for '84s or higher if you're in school, just to keep up with the class.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back