Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The first time I measure mA current with my personal Fluke meter....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speakerguy

...I blow the dang fuse.

Remind me to use different color jumper wire for power and ground next time. It took the brunt of a 12V unregulated wall-wart. I'm hoping the fuse is the only thing that went.

At least it wasn't across the 110V line.

Fuse

And fit the correct type fuse as specified by the manufacturer.

That will give you the correct interrupting capabilty in case of an other operator error and protects the meter.

Your Fluke meter should be OK.

I don't know about flukes but all the meters I've seen use pretty generic 250mA fast blow cartridge fuses. I can't remember exactly what size, 25mm springs to mind though.

The Fluke fuse is Fluke PN 943121. It's manufactured for them by Bussman. The Bussman PN printed on the fuse is DMM-44/100, but searching that PN won't get you anything on Bussman's site or Digikey either. The only near equivalent I could find on Bussman's site is the Bussman DMM-B-44/100. My blown fuse looks identical to this one minus the "B".

Digi-Key - 283-2495-ND (Cooper/Bussmann - DMM-B-44/100)

If you buy the Fluke PN (you have to search for it using Fluke's PN 943121) at Digikey it's 5.95. If you buy the DMM-B-44/100 it's $35. I put the Fluke one in my cart :)

Last edited:
It's $35 for a pack of 100, how many do you get for 5.95?

No they're really 35$ each @ Digikey. Standard package is the minimum package size Digi-Key receives from the manufacturer.

Hope the Fluke replacement is the same... 30$ less, that worth a try ;)

I replaced the same fuse in my own Fluke 189 awhile back... can't remember the price i paid though.

Last edited:
Oh, I see.
Digi-Key Help Screen

That sounds a lot for a small fuse, some multimeters are cheaper than that.

Have you looked on eBay?

There again, this might be a bad idea is for safety reasons you want to avoid cheap Chinese crap.

crustshow, 110 isn't so bad. I just blew a 7 amp fuse (and four diodes) when I plugged a bridge rectifier rated at only 1amp in backwards. Nearby light dimmed and there are some nice little metal balls (vaporized fuse wire that condensed) on the glass. Aside from the very mild audible pop that's what they're designed to do. The only reason I can think for a fuse being extra expensive is if the fuse itself is being used as the shunt for the current reading, but the only meter I've ever taken apart had an internal shunt seperate from the fuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back