Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The filter that is not filtering

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe2005

I was thinking of a PLC (power line communication) application, I wanted to start with the coupling circuit. Basically it is a HPF that will pass the higher frequency but block the 50Hz and its harmonics. The two designs that I have tried are:

1) C in series then L in parallel then another C in series
2) similar but with another 2 capacitors in the second line. Something like
C-C
-L-
C-C

I switched to the 2nd design after I got electricuted. I put C=4.7nF and L=1uH. Doing the math, a 50Hz voltage at either ends wouldn't reach the other end. The problem is that when I put the 220V~ to one end and connected a low impedence load to the other end a high current passed. (the lights dimmed)
This is my first practical attempt to build a filter, so I appreciate any advice.

Thank you

Lol, what was the capacitor rated to, 250VDC?

Did it explode?

You don't seem to know what you're doing.

If you what to make a mains powered circuit, use a transformer!

He got electrocuted but he is still alive. A miracle.
Maybe he fell dead on the wires and the second zap revived him. Another miracle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back