Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The big picture of mass production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrienne

I've just finished the patent process on a small device that has between 15 and 20 surface mount components. It is very, very small. I figure I can make 100 of these a month. How would I stream line the process? I thought about making a component mold but its all just to small.

More information needed (while recognizing your desire not to reveal proprietary info, perhaps).

You say "I can make 100 of these a month"; do you mean actually make them yourself, in your garage/workshop/kitchen? or send them to a fabricator? What capabilities (circuit board etching, parts placement & soldering, molding, etc.) do you actually have yourself? Have you checked with fabricators to see what they charge, what their minimum quantities are, setup costs, etc.?

Sounds interesting; tell us more.

It's difficult to automate circuit board fabrication for small runs without spending a lot of money.

One suggestion is to use surface mount adhesive to glue all the parts the to board before soldering. Thus you could, for example, place a particular component on several boards at a time, then do the same for the next component.

When all the components are in place, you solder the board. Don't know if you can afford some type of small wave solder machine to automate that part of the process. Might be able to find something used on fleabay.

Last edited:
You can get your artwork made first using free programs or pay programs or fabricators that will only use their programs. One other thing to consider is flex circuits which are "boards" made from VERY flexible material. Think a sheet of "transparency film" as to the flexibility.

The DIY method is to convert a toaster oven with the proper ramp/soak profiles and temperature control.

You will need to get a stencil made so that solder paste is applied. Then run it through the toaster oven programmed oven.

Hi Adrienne,

is it that was has to be manufactured? Board width is just 6mm.

Do you remember me?

Boncuk

Attachments

• milpat.gif
    milpat.gif
    13 KB · Views: 194
I thank you for the help Boncuk. The final layout for one embodiment did share similarities with that design you graciously provided me with. I also have some other issues. The power source is the BR435. I wonder if there is an alternative to that battery that is more readily available, like a certain number of stacked coin cells with a diameter not exceeding 6 mm that are commonly used. Also, I'm having difficulties finding vibrator motors that have a diameter of the same specification that have lower-end current draw. I know that once I get the ball rolling I can buy a large number of these components however I'm looking for maybe 50 of each at the moment.

Check out http: KOTL Vibration Motor Vibrating Motors Vibration Motors Vibrator Motors and look for item no. Z4SL2B0270131 (old number 4SL2713B). (Jin Long Machinery)

That vibrator motor has a diameter of 4mm and rated voltage and current of 3V/60mA.

Placing that motor centered (into) the PCB you'll still have "meat" of 1mm left and right of it. It's the smallest you can get.

Don't try at Nokia. They charge US$12.50 for each vibrator motor. :)

Boncuk

Last edited:
That's deceptive advertising. The quantity on eBay is normally the package deal. No-one is going to pay $3.75 per motor. All the other pager motors on eBay are $1.00 each. However I can get them for less than 50cents each in small quatities.

FWIW:

Here is a pen-like device that I own. It's a digital tire pressure gauge. The outer diameter is 10.3 mm and the battery used is 3 each, #393, which has a measured diameter of 7.8 mm. It's shown with the batteries removed.

Attachments

• Tire gauge.jpg
    Tire gauge.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 180
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back