Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The best search engine EVER.

Best Search Engine

• Google

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yahoo

• MSN

• Ask.com

• Dog Pile

• Alta Vista

• Complete Planet

• Other

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marks256

Please choose the best search engine, in your opinion. I have started with Google.

Don't you already know that Google is the best?

I use Google for convienence (browser), but for more serious stuff I'll go with MetaCrawler.

Google results tend to be full of links selling stuff, like Ebay. Seldom what I'm searching for. Perhaps I just don't know the syntax for filtering out some of the crap...

I think if you read the history of how google got started, and how they revolutionized web searching (back when the internet was first starting to grow enough that a basic search algorithm wouldn't cut it anymore), and take a look at the overviews of how their pagerank system, etc. work, it's hard not to appreciate the coolness of it, in my opinion (as a geek). As far as I know, the best any other search engines have done is just copying google, and trying to keep up. Meta-search engines like metacrawler typically end up just giving me a larger quantity of crappy results, which still doesn't help when I don't feel like looking at more than the first couple of pages of results to find what I'm looking for.

hero999 said:
Don't you already know that Google is the best?

Duh. I just wanted to see what other peoples opinions were. :)

I know that google is one of the top best. Peoples opinions mean more to me, though.

Just an observation, I've noticed that Google it written in italics; why is that is that? Is it deliberate or is it just the default for the first in the poll?

Hero999, it is not in italics if you are talking about the poll post here and are looking at it with firefox.

But I still like google. I have learned to filter most of the crap with the minus key. But I see a google, ebay, nextag, deals_*, (and Lord help me globalspec), etc.. They are really slowing my searches down with all the junk.

I recall gopher and others programs before the public was on the internet (and it was all text, no mouse). Now those were the days.

Hero999 said:
Just an observation, I've noticed that Google it written in italics; why is that is that? Is it deliberate or is it just the default for the first in the poll?

Hmm, i didn't notice that. Good observation! I don't know? Maybe it is default? Where is the admin?

TekNoir said:
Whatever you vote for changes to italics.

Hmm, that makes sense.

Come on people! I thought there would be more than a misrible 20 votes by now!

Thanks Teknoir. I thought my broswer was broke since everyone seemed to see it. But I posted google, did not click it. hehehe.

long time ago I used AltaVista, msnsearch each for sometime, then since one of my friends suggested google to me, it makes my life easer. It is my only search option. For my its the best may be because it became more familiar to me. I don’t think at least in the near future any other search engine will make me leave google.

By the way have you heard about the term : googlisation

I used to use metacrawler or altavista all the time...and only used google to get stuff I shouldn't be able to legally download...and after I while I just got lazy and kept using google

I am the best search engine since I use more than one as well as software like Copernicus that employs multiple engines simultaneously and provides a small thumbnail of each site found.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back