Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing Voltage Suppressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Del

I've been tasked with testing some voltage suppressors. An engineer has given me the test setup & specs below, but all the components are failing. Should there be a load parallel to the suppressor in this test setup?

upload_2015-9-10_9-54-25.png

What you're missing is a resistor in series with the PSU to limit the current, you're likely to destroy the TVS otherwise - setting a low current limit on the PSU would do, but is liable to mis-setting and destruction.

What part of the test do they fail?.

Personally I'm dubious about applying that much heat to them, you could be killing them by overheating. Assuming they fail at operation 5)?, then I would suggest doing 5) earlier as well, as operation 2.5 or so - and see if they pass then, but fail later.

It doesn't get past step 3. At 1.5mA the voltmeter reads about 15.5V. The diode is a TPC18AHM3. Can you suggest a good way to verify its specs?

If the TVS must pass test step 3, then according to your measurements it fails the test. Report accordingly to the engineer. Perhaps the test requirements will be relaxed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back