Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

testing dry contact (voltage free contact) in a frequecy of 10herts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anniyan_x

HI there

currently i have input card, the configuration is as attached image View attachment 63917, i can connect drycontact based sensor/switch to it. basically a channel is activated when the channel is short to ground/common.. but now i need test the channel contact response by giving a 100ms voltless pulse(dry contact) meaning i need to short the common&DI channel for 100ms and check if the card can detect or not. im now not sure how to physical short it for 100ms, what type equipment i need to use, i have a pulse generator but that give a voltage based pulse, i do have a scope to.. but how to test dry contact...anybody have some ideas or any equipment that usualy can be used for this type of input testing.

wt rgds
anniyan

Why not use your pulse generator to drive a small relay and use the contacts of the relay? Alternatively, you could use a transistor to act as a switch instead of a relay, but your tester is for testing contacts. Best to go with the real thing. No? You never know if contact bounce is an issue unless you use real contacts.

A relay like this can be driven directly by test equipment pulse generators and has a built in diode to protect the generator. P/N 7103-05-1001 https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2012/05/7000_Series.pdf

Set your generator output level to 2.5V because this relay has a coil resistance of 100 ohms, whereas the voltage output of the pulse generator is referenced to a 50 ohm load. Or, use a scope to set the output voltage to 5V with the relay connected. Connect the relay coil across the output of the generator and the relay contact in place of a "field device".

Last edited:
OK... i'l follow this method, i guess il use both methods transistor/relay just for experimental purpose. i need now whats the minimum 'short-time' the card can detect input/ and also the contact bounce issue. thank u.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back