Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing Capacitors and Motor Windings

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattag

Hi All,

First off, I'm a bumbler with little electronic theory and absolutely no electronic training whatsoever. Although I did almost get around to reading the owner's manual for my multimeter once. The only way I ever solve glitches in anything with wires, diodes, and what-not is by pathological single mindedness and a total aversion to spending the money for a new one. Mostly, it's the money thing. (Mostly.)

Anyway, to my ? I have 2 run capacitors, 1@50 µf and 1@60 µf wired in parallel (to produce 110 µf right?) from an AC hoist motor that hums but won't spin and isn't seized. My old standby test of charging then shorting the contacts with a screwdriver produces quite a pop from each one. But I have learned in my recent research that that just means they are holding some charge but not necessarily the right charge. Any other time I would run out and spend the $7 for a new start cap just to rule out the capacitor as the problem. But these are 2 high MFD and expensive run capacitors ~$40 each. No one local can test them and doing a resistance test doesn't tell me anymore than the screwdriver test. A guy in line behind me at the local electrical supply place told me a way that they can be tested with an amp meter.

He said that while connected to household current the amperage draw should be half the µf rating divided by 10. So, a 100 µf cap would be 100µf/2= 50 /10= 5 amps. Mine being 110 µf in parallel read 5.1-5.3 amps and individually draw 2.7 and 2.5. I tried and old 130 µf start cap and got a 6.6-6.7 reading. Seems like he was right BUT; I can find no other reference to this method anywhere. Is it just coincidence or does it work and no one else is sharing the secret? First of all, shouldn't voltage figure into the equation? Unless it does by the fact that all my caps were tested at ~123 volts with the 130 µf being rated at 240 and the 50 and 60 at 250, roughly 1/2 so the initial divide by 2?

Either way, assuming the caps are good, then checking the winding would be next. I've read and heard that if a high resistance is measured, the winding is bad. But, is resistance really a reliable way to check a motor winding? If the winding is shorted to itself, is the resistance really going to change much? If the problem is that the lacquer on the wire is broken down and turned the 1/2 mile of wire into a lump of copper, the current still has to pass through X no. of lbs. of copper so why would resistance across it increase significantly? I tried it anyway and got 1.4 Ω on the ccw (reverse) lead and 2X that, 2.8 Ω, on the cw (forward) lead. Doesn't sound like much resistance for so much wire but what do I know?

Any input would be appreciated.

Mattag, From what you said I think the caps are good unless the are leaking oil! Since you do not have the orignal resistance of the motor coils all you can do is look for discolored (Blacked) windings. They shoud all look the same.

Another thought is since the motor is reverseable, Can You try to reverse it Just for testing ? ( I never done it )

Bring your multimeter with you to the Parts House and test the new motor resistance before you dish out the $80 bucks!

Not exactly sure how your motor is wired, but assume you are certain it is single-phase, capacitor start and capacitor run. My first impression is that I would not necessarily expect the two resistances you measured to be the same.

Check out this link to Leeson to see why: **broken link removed**

Leeson refers to an accessory and main coil. There were many other hits to capacitor-run motors. My suggestion is to be sure it is set up right, particularly with reference to the starter coil (accessory). Will the motor run if you get it turning in the correct direction first, then apply power?
John

mattag said:
A guy in line behind me at the local electrical supply place told me a way that they can be tested with an amp meter.

He said that while connected to household current the amperage draw should be half the µf rating divided by 10. So, a 100 µf cap would be 100µf/2= 50 /10= 5 amps......
BUT; I can find no other reference to this method anywhere. Is it just coincidence or does it work and no one else is sharing the secret?
If you sit down and work out the maths (which I just did), for a 120 volt 60hz supply, the current through the capacitor will be 0.045C where C is in uF.
So the guy in the electrical shop was right! (Near enough for a quick test any way).

I have not heared of this "secret" either, probably because I dont test motor start capacitors, and the numbers would be different for a UK 240volt 50 hz supply.

mattag said:
First of all, shouldn't voltage figure into the equation?
Yes it does, the numbers the guy gave you assume a 120v supply, if your supply is a bit gigher or lower voltage, the current will be higher or lower in the same proportion.
The voltage rating of the capacitor is irrelevant to the calculation. The calculation will work for any capacitor rated more than the supply voltage.
A lower voltage rated capacitor will just go BANG:eek:

For your 110uF capacitor on a 123 volt supply, I calculate that the current will be 5.1A.

JimB

I am on the opposite side of the Atlantic from you but the principles should be the same.

Your motor should basically have two windings . One being the "run/main" winding and in my experience the lower restance of the two.

The other one is the "auxialry/starting" winding and the higher resistance.

The cw and ccw direction is brought about by the "polarity" of the connection of one winding with regard to the other

The power supply is fed directly to each side of the main winding, Live to U1 and neutral to U2. Live to the Aux winding passes through the cap and on to Z1 and neutral connects to Z2.

To reverse the direction of rotation live must be fed to Z2 and neutral to Z1.

This clever sequence of events is brought about within the control box for the hoist.

In some instances the reason for the motors lack of movement might be due to open circuit in either of the two windings. The best way to check the level of current flowing in either winding is with a clip on ammeter, where the ammeter has a spring loaded hinged jaw and simply clips around the current carrying cable.

In some cases the single phase motor will have a starting capacitor which will be connected in series with a controlled switch which will disconnect the circuit after a few seconds when the motor has started.

Hope this helps a little and does not cause confusion.

regards JMcG

Hi mattag,

if the motor windings look ok,
then its probably the switchwork.

The direction buttons are probably directly wired
to the motor, contactors are usually on larger hoists.

Also there may be additional contacts up at the hoist unit
wired to stop the motor at the top even if the 'UP' button is
pressed, and to stop the motor at the bottom limit of travel,
even if the 'DOWN' button is pressed.
These are unlikely to be at fault here,
from what you say i suspect the handset buttons assembly.

If it is a set of buttons hanging down on a wire,
they usually call that a pendant.
If it is that sort of arrangement then check the continuity
of the wires to the pendant, they can easily be damaged from
getting tugged, also they can become open circuit just from
being flexed about during use.

If you are still stuck, try to post pictures or give more details.

John :)

assuming capacitors are ok, check each winding resistance. It should read 5 or 6 ohms or bit hire. If it reads 0 Ohms or some M Ohms winding is bad. When you check winding make sure you have disconnected oll controling circuit otherwise you are reading ohms in another direction not the winding. Or power the motor and try to rotate by mannualy, try eithr direction, If motor starts to rotate the caps are faulty. try a another go, good luck

Hey everyone thanks for all the input. Sorry for the delay but the gas company hit the cable company's line and the neighborhood has been w/o cable or Internet for 5 days. In the meantime, I located an HVAC shop not too far away with a capacitor tester. They are fine. With the caps wired directly to the motor, just to ensure that no contacts or limit switches were bad (I tested them thoroughly early on) the motor behaves the same. Hum, no turn. I removed the brake assembly which disengages when the winding charges. No change. With power supplied, with and without the caps in circuit, to either side of the winding the motor hums and and doesn't turn. In all my previous experience with motors that were on their way out, I could often get them to work (at least under no load) with a helping spin of the rotor in the direction it is wired for. This one locks when power is supplied in cw or ccw configuration. The rotor seems to pulse cw then ccw many times per second (60 Hz maybe?) and quickly heats the housing to way beyond normal temps. The motor rated at 840 watts draws ~15 amps as long as I'm willing to supply power (4 seconds tops).

I have to assume the winding is shorted or broken somewhere. This hoist is neat, compact, and slick but way too complicated. I've decided to caveman it with a reliable Baldor cap-start motor, some pulleys, and a drum reversing switch hooked to a worm drive manual winch. I need this to work everyday and relying on a product produced under Chinese quality control was unnerving anyway.

I very much appreciate every one's help.

Sorry to hear you were cut-off.

Let me add one little bit of safety advice applicable to single-phase motors. Most capacitor start motors are not instant reversing. Be sure you have limit switches, delays, or other measures implemented to prevent someone from trying to reverse the hoist while it is still moving. The user may not know enough to hit stop while the hoist proceeds to destroy itself or whatever was being lifted or lowered. The advice may seem obvious, but I once had to rebuild a hoist because the operator was not aware of that fact. He felt the motor was broken, because it did not reverse when he hit the reverse button.
Drum switches can allow reversal quite quickly, which may lead to that problem, even with a worm-gear drive. A button pendant switch with interlock enforces a small delay.

John

I scrapped the drum switch. As jpanhalt warned it is difficult to keep it from swinging to full reverse from forward. I am a one man show in this train wreck I try to pass off as a business but even I, the head designer, chief cobber, and executive operator in charge might forget in the heat of battle and do a reverse too quickly. I've substituted a DPDT rocker to rewire the windings for reverse/forward and a momentary switch wired through a 3 second delay relay to apply power to the whole mess. (I needed the drum switch on the shaper it came off of occasionally anyway). In my tests with the current set up rather cobbed and bodged together in situ the multiple reduction pulley transmission stops quickly even under a modest load. The mandatory 3 second delay enforced by the relay to supply power again is more than enough for the rotor to stop turning before changing directions.

And I was being overly self deprecating by referring to myself as a caveman. I would never batter any device, however delinquent it proved to be, with a club.

I have a fine selection of hammers reserved for technology requiring a "radical reworking" solution. I believe that elevates me to a pinacle of evolutionary and technical development a some point in the iron age.

I used to do maitenance work in a cannery that used AC motors to run the equipment. There were alot of motors. The basic rules I learned were:

If the motor is to hot to touch, your soon going to have problems with it.

The sound of a motor is your next best indicator of trouble(when its running it should "hum" evenly) no grunts ( over loaded).

"Knocking" while running usually means a loose armature coil, shaft out of alignment, or an armature dragging because of worn bearings. The last one was very common in the high time motors we had, and eventually those motors would not start , just hum and get hot.
sam

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back