Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Testing a Triac (BT136-600E)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teufelwolf

I got a couple of the BT136's
**broken link removed**

I was trying to use them in place of a C106B
https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/308/C106-D-108983.pdf
for the Lesson 13 in Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius (see attached).
Could not get it work, but I don't have a speaker or buzz, just used a LED.
Also tried it with a SCR TYN612 as the book seems to use TRIAC and SCR interchangeably.
**broken link removed**
Still didn't work.
I found a very basic Triac test circuit.
circuit-for-testing-triac.jpg (used a 6W Led Lamp as the load L1)

I've read over the datasheets, but I admit that a lot of the graphs and data is still over my level of comprehension at this point. Am I missing something obvious?

Attachments

• Pages from Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius  - Dave Cutcher.jpg
    Pages from Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius - Dave Cutcher.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 2,935
The C106B only needs 0.2mA to activate its gate, the BT136 needs a lot more, maybe 10-20mA.

Your 1k gate resistor needs to be reduced for 12v operation. The Triac test circuit you showed seems ok, with a gate resistor of about 270 ohms. You could even reduce that further to about 100 ohms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back