Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test circuit program?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacehonkey

I'm completely new to building circuit cards. In my surfing on the web I've come across a few circuit board programs that let you design a and setup a system and then test it. Something like this https://www.new-wave-concepts.com/ed/circuit.html. I would like to know if you guys use any of these and if they are worth the $.

My opinion is that these "do-it-all" software packages don't seem like a great way to go. As an analogy, if I was building a workshop, I wouldn't try to find a single piece of equipment that did "everything", because it would probably not do a great job at any one thing, and probably be way overpriced - instead I'd buy multiple pieces of equipment, suited to different tasks.

The particular software you linked to looks like a "toy" to me. It's got pretty graphics, and some neat tricks, but it looks like it's really aimed at beginners, which in many cases means it's not going to be useful once you get past the 'beginner' stage, which wouldn't be so bad except that it seems moderately expensive.

There are plenty of free options out there, though you'll probably find you'll need different programs for simulation and PCB layout, and things probably won't be as pretty and user-friendly as the program you mentioned. It's a matter of personal preference whether that is worth the price to you.

At a glance, it looks like the library stopped at 1995. Then again, maybe the web site is just a little behind the product. There are only three microcontrollers!

I second that recommendation. It's a good example of free not always being 'cheap'

I found a program that'll work but I need some advice. I need to know which PCB design is better or will they do the exact same thing. I have made two designs they're identical except for a couple of spots.

The first one is straight shot from one component to next one.
**broken link removed**

This next one gives a little space between the component and the track with the power.
**broken link removed**

Moving the power line up did not accomplish anything except to make the spacing too close at the far right. The thing to keep in mind is where the high current pulses are flowing. I assume the power input is at the far right. If that is the filter cap at the far left, it might be better to put it near the input. Running each power seperatly to the input connector would be the best, but not necessary if the current is low.

thx for the info I didn't think moving the power line up would change anything but I just wanted to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back