Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Test an MOV??

Status
Not open for further replies.

fastline

In experience, it always seemed that if an MOV was bad, you knew it.... Exploded.... However, I wanted to determine if there are other failure modes and if they can be bench tested/approved? I am really fighting a controller and probably should check to be on the safe side if they indeed can fail without exploding..

They could conceivably fail either short or open without exploding.

The short can be tested with an ohmmeter.

The open would require a high voltage supply to test.

Last edited:
DMM ohm test reads open. We do have a function generator but I do not think we can get the voltage required...Do you basically test the voltage drop across it?

DMM ohm test reads open. We do have a function generator but I do not think we can get the voltage required...Do you basically test the voltage drop across it?
The MOV looks rather like a zener diode. So you put a large resistor in series to limit the current, apply a voltage above it's breakdown and measure the voltage across it. You can use a DC supply for that if you have one with a high enough voltage.

Maybe you can help with a datasheet on this one? PN is ZNR V14431U. Typical disc shape with radial leads. Made by Murata. Cannot find a sheet anywhere...

Couldn't find anything on it either.

Is connected across the line?

If so the voltage rating is probably 10-20% above the peak AC line voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back