Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

tesla coil tuner

Status
Not open for further replies.
i found a tesla coil tuner project here

https://www.rmcybernetics.com/projects/DIY_Devices/homemade_tesla_coil_tuner.htm

i was wondering if i could as a substitute use my function generator with an appropriate current limiting resistor and an ampmeter in series to tune? the idea is that the analog meter would delflect at the resonant frequency. i would appreciate input on this idea. ty

Hi Lokey.

In order to tune a Tesla coil with a function generator, you will also need an oscilloscope. If you have one, then you're all set--Just use the procedure described .
If you don't have an oscilloscope, it would be easiest to just build the tuner in the link you posted. It only requires a few readily-available components and will cost less than $5 to build.

Good luck!
Der Strom

This has absolutely nothing to do with Tesla Coil Tuning.

Hello DerStrom8
I like the Christmas Hat on Nikola Tesla, he probably would have approved too.

Regards meanu

i know there is a resonant frequency and then smaller harmonics of the frequency. will resonance be the first peak as i sweep through the frequency range of the function generator?
No it will be the largest peak.

so i picked up a tektronix scope on craigslist. when i use a function generater as described here: http://www.hvtesla.com/tuning.html

i know there is a resonant frequency and then smaller harmonics of the frequency. will resonance be the first peak as i sweep through the frequency range of the function generator?

Oh, I'm sorry. I must have missed this post. But yes, as Andy said, it will be the peak with the highest amplitude.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Tesla Coil Tuning.

Hello DerStrom8
I like the Christmas Hat on Nikola Tesla, he probably would have approved too.

Regards meanu

Haha, well thank you. I guess it's about time I take that off now, huh?

Just for future reference, that may have been a better thing to say in a PM... ;)

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back