Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tesla coil HELP please!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolf08

I have a ZVS driver driving a flyback (powering ZVS at 13.8v at 7 amps) and it seems my arcs look just like a 10k neon sign transformer could i use my flyback to power a Tesla coil ? i wound 28gage wire on a mailing tube that is 2 inches in diameter and 2 foot long i wound the whole thing for a total of 1813 turns, will that work for a secondary or are the dimension wrong. If it work will i get long arcs or would shortening the secondary give me better results. Thank you for any help

Pictures here---> https://4hv.org/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?94468

Last edited:
first you set up the secondary coil to a frequency, (LC) = toroid and 2ndcoil , then you set up your primary to have same frequency (LC)= primarycoil and chargecap

change primary coil L to fine tune, use high value primary C

search online lots of help from DIYers, lots of various calculators for L and C too!

btw, L=induction, C=capacitance

post removed

Last edited:
you dont really need top, all that matters is that is the primary frequency is tuned to the secondary frequency, by adjusting the primary to match,

you need tools to tune it, preferably a scope and a wave generator.,,

but I have a feeling that is not an option, so this may work...:
RMCybernetics - DIY Homemade Tesla Coil Tuner
but i have never actually tried it

either way tesla coils are dangerous, and i would recommend reading the safety guides first

I like this guy,, he keeps it simple:
Trashy Tesla Coil a tesla coil made entirely from junk from dumpster diving

you dont really need top, all that matters is that is the primary frequency is tuned to the secondary frequency, by adjusting the primary to match,

you need tools to tune it, preferably a scope and a wave generator.,,

but I have a feeling that is not an option, so this may work...:
RMCybernetics - DIY Homemade Tesla Coil Tuner
but i have never actually tried it

either way tesla coils are dangerous, and i would recommend reading the safety guides first

I like this guy,, he keeps it simple:
Trashy Tesla Coil a tesla coil made entirely from junk from dumpster diving

My first tesla coil was based on the "Trashy Tesla coil." It worked, and I got about 3-5cm arcs to air without a topload, but I didn't have a matching capacitor--just a single beer bottle cap. When I built my second coil with the same transformer and capacitor, I got 8-10cm arcs to air without a topload. The operation of the Tesla coil is based entirely on resonance, so you must match the resonant frequencies of the primary and secondary circuits. The Tesla Coil Tuner from RMCybernetics is a good way to do this--I have built it before and it works great. I just haven't been able to test it on a full tesla coil circuit.
I hope these posts aren't too late--I realize this thread is rather old.
Anyway, I wish you the best of luck!
Der Strom

It is best to have only 950 turns on the secondary wound on PVC pipe. Diameter to length ratio is 3 to 1 to 5 to 1.

Primay coil needs about 18 turns flat wound 1/2" center to center.

Spark gap is 9 gaps .030" each gap with a fan.

Capacitor is .005 uf voltage rating is 2 times the power supply voltage.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

Go the the tesla coil forum you will get excellent help there.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back