Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Terminal program to send binary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magen

Hello Everybody,
I am trying to find a free terminal program for xp that will enable me to send binary to a device on a com port. I am trying to communicate with my cellphone using Nokia's Fbus protocol and therefore need to send binary that's not represented by any of the standard Ascii characters. I have been able to capture the frames sent to the phone by one of the logo/ringtone type software, and the responses from the phone and would like to replicate this manually before using a pic to do this.

PS: I do have Mplab and a Pickit2 and have seen some Uart tools. Does anybody know if this can be done with Mplab, or can anybody suggest a terminal program?

Hello Everybody,
I am trying to find a free terminal program for xp that will enable me to send binary to a device on a com port. I am trying to communicate with my cellphone using Nokia's Fbus protocol and therefore need to send binary that's not represented by any of the standard Ascii characters. I have been able to capture the frames sent to the phone by one of the logo/ringtone type software, and the responses from the phone and would like to replicate this manually before using a pic to do this.

PS: I do have Mplab and a Pickit2 and have seen some Uart tools. Does anybody know if this can be done with Mplab, or can anybody suggest a terminal program?

hi,
You could try mine if no one comes up with an simpler solution.
You need to download the free Visual Basic 5 or 6 runtime files from the web and load them to your C:\Windows\System32 folder.

I designed this for my own testing use so its not too user friendly, but it will do most everything regarding UART I/O.

If required I can explain any problems [it does have a Help file]

Attachments

• AmComm3.exe
    118.5 KB · Views: 137
Also try RealTerm. I haven't looked to see if it has all the features you mentioned but I have been using it recently. It is better than Hyperterm in some areas and annoying in others.

Terminal Software

Do a Google search for Bray's Terminal, very simple easy to use, allows the use of macros that can send ascii, hex, decimal, or binary information. It has the ability to run scripts as well but there is absolutely no documentation of any kind for the scripting and only a very basic example included. It has support for custom baud rates as well, but I don't know what the hardware requirements are for custom baud rate. Very small and function com program, I've been using it for years.

Hi Guys,
Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried Realterm also but I could not find a way to send binary from it. I will give the other 2 options a try, and hopefully get my phone to respond.

@ Eric : Txs for sharing the software.

Will update this post when I have a chance to test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back