Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

temperature sensor for my soldering iron

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodongkulas

hi guys!! I'm planning to build a controller for my soldering iron which is 30 watts using PIC microcontroller and I have a problem on what temperature sensor to use sense the temperature reaches 300+C.... Guys will you help me!!!!

YIKES... Youd be better off using a variable current control, or PWM, and calibrate it with a thermometer. Where did you plan on putting this temperature sensor?!

you need a thermocouple junction ... like a K-Type or J-Type ... all it consists of is some wires (of known properties) soldered together and an amplifier to read out the voltage generated at the junction, and some filters to weed out noise.

you should be able to find a thermocouple "chip" that handles all that for you and outputs either serial or voltage. then you just need a way to work the junction itself into your iron, so it properly senses the tip temp.

sounds like an interesting project!

here's some links for you:

amplifier chip:
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=307

thermocouple probe:
https://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=251

I notice the probe is rated to 1372°C, but it's insulation is only rated to 260°C ... so you'll need to find someway to insulate it when it's near the heating element ... I don't know why glass braid insulation is only rated to 260°C - glass melts at a lot higher temp then that.

Thermocouple junctions are not "soldered," theyre resistance welded, or just twisted together...

You'll have to compensate for the cold junction also. Then you still have to figure out where to put the thing! You wont be able to solder with it since it will be in your way. One thermocouple will probably cost more than your lousy soldering iron anyway. And the AD595 cold junction compensation chip aint cheap either ($17-$25)!

Current control, or a new soldering pencil, is way more practical.

i'm no expert on this but would using a thermistor (temperature dependent resistor) work at such high temps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back