Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature Probe Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawnmk

Hello,

I want to use a temperature probe which can send temperature readings of a hot surface to a laptop/computer. Kindly inform any affordable alternatives with ability to get the data to a computer. I want to make multiple temperature readings and probably create a heat map of the surface.

currently, I'm using vernier temperature probes. I was just wondering if there are others that are not from the vernier company and don't need a fluke meter (ie: should connect to a computer not a meter).

the temperature range of the surface is about 0 deg. F to 500 deg. F.

thank you,

Hello,

I want to use a temperature probe which can send temperature readings of a hot surface to a laptop/computer. Kindly inform any affordable alternatives with ability to get the data to a computer. I want to make multiple temperature readings and probably create a heat map of the surface.

currently, I'm using vernier temperature probes. I was just wondering if there are others that are not from the vernier company and don't need a fluke meter (ie: should connect to a computer not a meter).

thank you,
Hi,

I'm using the vernier probe mentioned here.
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12871

But this is a stiff probe with a stainless steel sheath. Its difficult to use it to measure surface temperature of a small surface. its easier to use with liquids.

Do you know how to use the probes of this website
https://www.vernier.com/products/sensors/temperature-sensors/sts-bta/
I mean how do i fix them to a surface. kindly inform which high temperature liquid glue can hold it to a hot surface.

Hello,

thank you,

Starting at the beginning what do you call "affordable"? My idea of affordable and your idea of affordable might just not quite be the same.

It sounds like what you want is commonly called a surface temperature probe which are probes designed with a tip for measuring a surface temperature. Google surface Temperature Probes to get some ideas. I saw several through Amazon that run around $40.00 USD each. That brings us to how many points do you want to measure? Do you just want a single probe that you move from point to point or do you want to use multiple probes all collecting data at the same time?

There is a number of ways to get the temperature data into a computer the question is once we feed the data to the computer what do you want to do with it? There are dozens of small simple data acquisition systems out there that can get the data to a PC and chart it by channel. This will always go back to budget? Here are a few images of something I did years ago to monitor and compare case temperatures in a server type computer. The thermocouples could have easily been measuring surface temperatures and easily been recorded and charted.

A quick and simple turn key system could be made from one of these which would give you four thermocouple channels and the basic charting software. If you better explain exactly in detail what you want to do I am sure there is a solution.

Ron

Starting at the beginning what do you call "affordable"? My idea of affordable and your idea of affordable might just not quite be the same.

It sounds like what you want is commonly called a surface temperature probe which are probes designed with a tip for measuring a surface temperature. Google surface Temperature Probes to get some ideas. I saw several through Amazon that run around $40.00 USD each. That brings us to how many points do you want to measure? Do you just want a single probe that you move from point to point or do you want to use multiple probes all collecting data at the same time?

There is a number of ways to get the temperature data into a computer the question is once we feed the data to the computer what do you want to do with it? There are dozens of small simple data acquisition systems out there that can get the data to a PC and chart it by channel. This will always go back to budget? Here are a few images of something I did years ago to monitor and compare case temperatures in a server type computer. The thermocouples could have easily been measuring surface temperatures and easily been recorded and charted.

A quick and simple turn key system could be made from one of these which would give you four thermocouple channels and the basic charting software. If you better explain exactly in detail what you want to do I am sure there is a solution.

Ron
thank you Ron.

Let me get back to you on this.

How about an IR touchless surface sensor.
You should be able to find one with a com port.

How about an IR touchless surface sensor.
You should be able to find one with a com port.

That is a real good idea! I just got hung on the thermocouple thing. Find one with an output that may even include software. Long as the surface is suitable I would absolutely be considering that.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back