Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature measurement using thermistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

yasser11

I have to use a wheatstone bridge with thermistor in one arm to detect change in the resistance of a thermistor for a temperature range of 0-100Celsius.And i have to use an instrumentation amplifier to obtain an output of 0-10V for the temperature ange of 0-100 Celsius.
Pls help me with this

and what is the problem? a bit more detail is required please

the problem is how to achieve that linear range 0-10 V as output of instrumentation amplifier corresponding to the temperature range 0-100 degree celsius.

is the thermister changing linerarly? if so a standard amplifier will do

if not the chances are it is exponential and you will have to construct a log-amp and have fun calibrating it unfortunetly

yasser11 said:
the problem is how to achieve that linear range 0-10 V as output of instrumentation amplifier corresponding to the temperature range 0-100 degree celsius.

Well a thermistor isn't usually linear, so getting a linear range is going to be difficult.

But to get a 0-10V range from 0-100 degrees is easy enough:

1) Adjust the other half of the bridge to make it balanced at 0 degrees (zero volts out).

2) Use a differential input opamp to amplify the output from the bridge.

3) Adjust the gain of the opamp to give 10V out when the thermistor is at 100 degrees.

This will then be correct at 0 degrees, and at 100 degrees, but inbetween accuracy will vary due to the non-linearity of the rhermistor.

The resistance/temperature characteristic of a thermistor is non-linear, however a reasonable amount of linearisation can be done using series and parallel resistors. There will still be some non-linearity, but depending on your application it can be ignored.

Have a look at this link:
https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2005/09/ntcnotes.pdf

Around page 23 (if I remember correctly), is a good section on linearisation.

JimB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back