Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature controlled timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marshiewoo

Heya,

I am looking to make a Temperature controlled timer, Being that when the device goes above -16°C then a timer starts counting down from 30 minutes. Then when it goes back to below -16°C the timer restarts and stops, awaiting it to go back higher than -16°C.

I am wondering how I can do this, what chips and power I will need, and if somebody could point out where I can get all of the components from, maybe even sketch out a quick and simple picture for me?

I would be really thankful for anybody that can help me out.

Thanks,
Marshall Wade

It would help to know what you are trying to control with this timer. That will determine some of the components.

Do you need an indication of the countdown time?

How much difference is there between "above -16°C" and "below -16°C"?

Yes I would like it to be displayed on a small segment screen.

There is a rather big difference, it is to tell if the device is inside a freezer or outside a freezer.

To add more info, I would just like a timer to go from 30 minutes to 0 on a screen when the device is taken out of a freezer. When it is back in the freezer, the timer will be reset and stopped.

I would like it to be made originally by myself for testing and display purposes and after that I would probably get it manufactured.

If you are looking for something cheap to manufacture then it would probably be best to use a microcontroller with a built in A/D converter to interface with the temp sensor, and an LCD driver to interface with the display. I'm not familiar with specific devices but here's some PIC units with a direct LCD interface (check the Graphical Display column).

Last edited:
Even better, use a TI MSP430Fxxx with a built in A/D and direct LCD drive. Using these, it is possible to make battery-powered instruments that run on small batteries for a Verrrry long time...

I suggest one of the digital temperatures sensors like the DS18B20 or the LM74. Then you don't have to worry about analog accuracy.

LCD screens can stop working at low temperatures, so that is worth checking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back