Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Temperature control using a PID contoller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.M.

The picture attached is my schematic.

I use the op-amp as a comparator to sense temperature and as the NTC thermistor's temperature increases its resistance decreases thus making the voltage at V(-) larger. When V(-) reaches a high enough temperature the op-amp will toggle "off" and turn the heater off.

I plan on changing the temperature level in which the comparator toggles "off" by changing the voltage at Vref via a digital to analog converter. I plan on using the outputs from the PID to create a boolean number into the D/A to make a voltage at Vref. As Vref changes the "toggle" point for the comparator will change.

**broken link removed**
Questions:

Will the PID control the D/A converter in the manner i have chosen?
Is that a wise approach in changing the desired temperature?

Do i need 21 different outputs from the PID to operate 3 seven segment displays?

Any help/feedback is appreciated. This is one of my first practical applications. I decided to try to use my engineering knowledge for at home purposes.

Thanks in advance.

Putting a DAC and a comparator together like that is the same as making a crude ADC. Most modern microcontrollers already have ADCs built in, which are easier to use and usually more accurate than a DAC you can build.

I agree with mneary. Just set the OpAmp gain/offset to span the range of the controller's ADC. Most uControllers have an ADC with sufficient resolution that you can do the entire PID implementation in software.

ahh been busy with school and havent had time to be on here much.

ok, so i already looked into the whole DAC from my cntroller. The thing is when i connect it to my scope the signal is PWM and didnt think that would work well for the Vref on the comparator.. I was thinkin i need an actual Analog Voltage to be at Vref, otherwise the comapartor would toggle on off repeatedly because it would go High for a split second and off for another periodically depending on the value i wish to output.

Am I to believe that the DAC output will actually sustain a votlage at Vref in which would allow my compartor to operate as planned?

Was this clear enough to understand my concern?

Thanks again for any help.

Yes, it's true that a DAC can sustain a voltage. But what we're suggesting is to get rid of the DAC and comparator and use a micro that already contains an ADC that will measure the input directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back