Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

temp switches, are there simple/cost effecitive alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

inetquestion

I am currently prototyping devices to prevent freezing of .... by delivering small doses of radiant heat when preset thresholds are crossed. My search for an inexpensive heat sensing switch has been far less productive than I had hoped. Using something similar to the device in a hair dryer or oven would do the trick, but those devices operate at much higher temps that I am targeting (swiching on @ 50 degrees F). Researching over the past few days has lead me to this website: https://www.cpi-nj.com. I am specifically interested in the Thread Mount Snap-Stats, ie: (AD001, AD003, AD004, AD008, AD013, AD019) There are two scenarios I've come across where either of two types of switches would suffice. The first would place the body of the unit on the heated side. A hole would allow the sensing portion to protrude through the casing to obtain the atmospheric temperature. The temp difference from inside to outside would be approx 30 degrees. The second type which would slightly be preferred as it requires no holes to be drilled, as it could be epoxyed inside the case on the heated side. The temp reading would be conducted through the casing and would give the desired results while sacrificing a bit of temp accuracy. Would you recommend any additional sheilding in either of these cases since the majority of the unit will be located on the heated side? The other unfortunate part of the snap-stats is they are really expensive!

Is there some low cost device that will give the same result? The circuit will be run off 110 and will draw 1/3 - 1/2 amp. as always....the simplier the better.

TIA,

-Inet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back