Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

temp based PWM fan control

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico

Hi there I am planning to do a temperature based PWM control ciruit.

The requirements are:
20mA source/sink
5V powered and ~5V out (voltage out not too important as long as its high impedance)
scales from 50-95% PWM with temperature
small board size (smaller = better but no actual limit)
2kHz +/-20% (*edit*)
no software
would like to be able to set the top (95% PWM) and bottom (50% PWM) temperature

I was planning to do this with a 555timer and an NTC/PTC. I figured I could use a pot to set a minimum duty cycle, but working out the resistance values is proving to be a pain.
Then I would put a schmitt trigger on the output to get my high impedance and required current.

I was wondering if anyone else would go about this differently.

Attachments

• InHeadPWM_TempControl.pdf
    97.5 KB · Views: 380
Last edited:
I have read several articles online saying that PWM works best at lower frequencies, between 20 and 60Hz or so. I recently got an IC from microchip that is capable of driving an external fan using PWM based on temerature. It has a lower cut off limit, a low end PWM limit and a built in fault detector. I have made some test circuits using the IC and it works great. The only thing that I can't seem to work out is in one of the equations it says something about the beta value of the thermistor. I can't remember where in the data sheet I saw that but I am at a loss for what this means. If you get someone to explain that, we'll both be set to go. Here is a link to the data sheet: http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/microchip/21444c.pdf

This should explain it Dragon.
**broken link removed**

hi DT,
The d/s reference to Beta is for transistor Q1. the Gain for the design example is 50.

For a Thermistor 'B' is a function of the material used... the formula is: Rnew = R0*exp(-B*((1/273)-(1/(273+T1))))
R0 = resistance at Ref tempr , usually 25C
Typically B is around 4000.

Last edited:
That thing looks pretty awesome, but my fan has a required frequency of 2kHz +/- 20% (I've updated the original post)

It can be modified to work at a higher frequency. The capacitor that opperates the frequency just needs to be modified from 1uF to another value. The capacitor is connected to pin 2 labeled Cf. There is an equation in the data sheet that will allow you to calculate what size cap you need.

You can also get it from microchip as a free sample. The max number of parts is 5, just order 2 or 3 so you don't look like a mooch. I always order at least 2 so that if something goes wrong with the first one, I don't have to stop working while I wait for a replacement in the mail.

Last edited:
hmm i dont see an equation or limitations but also they recommend using the value for 30 Hz
I would find it odd if it also operated normally at 2000Hz

Last edited:
Equation or no equation, it's just a simple RC oscillator. There is nothing in the data sheet that says you can't run it at 2kHz. Just start lowering the capacitor value until you get a 2kHz output. It should be within the +/- 20% tolerance range you are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back