Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tell me which one will be better idea??

using which idea it will work better n practically?

• EMI law

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • pressure sensor/transducer

• generator

• other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

tazz_hkr

hello friends,
I am diploma student n wanted to work on a new idea for my final year project. The idea is 'Energy generation from motion of speed breaker'.

Primarily i thought of the law of electro-magnetic. i was going to make the speedbreakar movable in the vertical direction using springs or some assembly.when car will pass over it it will move electromagnet which will induce flux(Φ) in the coil present in front of it n this energy will be stored.

secondarily i came across idea of pressure sensor or transducer which will sense the pressure of tires n generate an active signal which will give rise to energy generation.

Third idea is pressure of vehicles will be transferred to generator mechanism through hydraulic system n then gears(as in windmills) Due to applied force rotor will rotate as in generator n energy will be stored.

so can anybody tell me which of the above ideas will work practically?
which one will be more efficient n reliable to work on?
or any other way i can do same thing?

i am not familiar with "speed breakers" (wiki couldn't help me out either) but is the goal of proving a theoritical idea or do you wan't to make it that it will be usable in real life

if it is for the first reason than al solutions would be able to make and probably the electro magnetic solution would be the most efficient

but i doubt if you can make something usable in all set ups

i think that the energy is to small, so you have a problem to harvest it and with all the transformations to an other form of it you will lose so much that you will end up with enough to run a wrist watch on but nothing more

Robert-Jan

hi Robert-Jan

i want to make it that it will be usable in real life

as i know, in windmills, the gears r so perfectly n frictionlessly arranged that due to slight motion of the blades it will result in the sufficient amount of rpm to create good amount of energy

actually i am thinking about the third idea that i have suggested.

ok, don't look at speed breaker but think of a platform which can move in up-down direction.

if u apply a sudden force lets say an impulsive force to that platform n this force is applied to rotor of a generator tangentially so it will create good rpm

i just wanna ask u what ever i am thinking is it result oriented in real life:confused:

u suggested me the first idea, can u tell me why?
means in which way u thought first one is more good than third?

If understand what you are suggesting, you could make a small, hinged ramp connected to an air pump --like a foot operated air pump. As cars go over the ramp, they would create compressed air, which could be piped to your house for useful work. It would be kind of like an energy toll that you would collect from every car that passed your house.

As for your poll, how to you differentiate between EMI law and generator?

John

Great Idea.

If understand what you are suggesting, you could make a small, hinged ramp connected to an air pump --like a foot operated air pump. As cars go over the ramp, they would create compressed air, which could be piped to your house for useful work. It would be kind of like an energy toll that you would collect from every car that passed your house.

John

If the law would let me I could run the hole block on just the cars that would have to obey the 25mph posted on my street. I could slow them enough that it wouldn't oppose them dramatically, but it would still produce a lot of air pressure.

Wow :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I could never get away with it. But it would be a fun experiment. :p kv

Good one / John.

Last edited:
Air pressure storage.

hello friends,
I am diploma student n wanted to work on a new idea for my final year project. The idea is 'Energy generation from motion of speed breaker'.

Primarily i thought of the law of electro-magnetic. i was going to make the speedbreakar movable in the vertical direction using springs or some assembly.when car will pass over it it will move electromagnet which will induce flux(Φ) in the coil present in front of it n this energy will be stored.

secondarily i came across idea of pressure sensor or transducer which will sense the pressure of tires n generate an active signal which will give rise to energy generation.

Third idea is pressure of vehicles will be transferred to generator mechanism through hydraulic system n then gears(as in windmills) Due to applied force rotor will rotate as in generator n energy will be stored.

so can anybody tell me which of the above ideas will work practically?
which one will be more efficient n reliable to work on?
or any other way i can do same thing?

I voted for EMI personal reasons. But for an efficient means of storage I think that that storing air pressure is a good one. We have to much lost with battery's short life and manufacturing costs. So, I think to store air pressure is not a bad idea at all.

kv I like it. ;)

Hi Tazz hkr

the first way is in my opinion les a problem with energy conversions (and losses)

as the mechanical movement is direcly transfered in electrical energy and I asume that's the end form you want to use

the other solutions are from mechanical to air pressure again electro mechanical the losses in every transaction are in my opinion bigger

an other thing is the first option is probably cheaper to build and maintain and probably less critical in calibrating

Robert-Jan

Electro magnetic speed breaks are widely used in fair ground rides to stop the ride.

It works on the basic idea of induction. The carriage usually has a big strip of copper along its underside. This passes through a strong magnetic field created by electro magnets but just as easily be created by perm magnets.

As the copper passes through the magnet a current is induced proportional to the speed of the carriage. This creates an opposing magnetic field and slows the carriage.

This effect can be seen if you drop a strong magnet down a copper pipe – a good party trick It looks like the magnet has disappeared (until about 10 seconds later it drops out)

Any way that was how magnetic speed breaks work,
How much energy would you like to create, a wide range of small micro generators for embedded wireless sensors have been created and are being used on oil rigs and other high spec – volatile environment applications.

If your happy with a few mW try looking up MEMS vibration energy harvesters, many papers have been published on this and equally many have be produced commercially. It is essentially a “speed break” as it damps any vibrations within the system.

Electro magnetic speed breaks are widely used in fair ground rides to stop the ride.

It works on the basic idea of induction. The carriage usually has a big strip of copper along its underside. This passes through a strong magnetic field created by electro magnets but just as easily be created by perm magnets.

As the copper passes through the magnet a current is induced proportional to the speed of the carriage. This creates an opposing magnetic field and slows the carriage.

This effect can be seen if you drop a strong magnet down a copper pipe – a good party trick It looks like the magnet has disappeared (until about 10 seconds later it drops out)

Any way that was how magnetic speed breaks work,
How much energy would you like to create, a wide range of small micro generators for embedded wireless sensors have been created and are being used on oil rigs and other high spec – volatile environment applications.

If your happy with a few mW try looking up MEMS vibration energy harvesters, many papers have been published on this and equally many have be produced commercially. It is essentially a “speed break” as it damps any vibrations within the system.

hi misterbenn

i think u have misunderstood the concept:eek::eek::eek:

my "speed breaker" will feel like a big bump in the road as a car drives over it and forces it down.

and when it will force down due to weight of the car the downward force created i.e. what i want to use for giving a jerk to the rotor.

then the generator will create some energy in the form of positive going pulse at the o/p:)

John

hi John

what i want to explain that u have understood correctly :D:D:D

instead of my hydraulic system u suggested air pump/ air compression system to sense the pressure and i want to use this pressure to create electric energy

my emi concept refers to the first idea that i have explained in my first post

now my question is that should i apply this pressure/force/jerk to
1. Generator
2. Pressure sensor/transducer
3. EMI
:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited:
Can i ask what your ment to be powering?

Also who really want to put big bumps in the road, there are many other energy harvesting methods that are less of an annoyance.

just asking

Can i ask what your ment to be powering?

Also who really want to put big bumps in the road, there are many other energy harvesting methods that are less of an annoyance.

just asking

hi Misterbenn

sorry for saying bumps not exactly bumps.... but r u still confused with the idea???

simply i will say the funda of the "automatic opening doors" used for different shops or supermarkets just there pressure sensors r used .... it my idea the platform will be pressed to some extent that movement i want to turn into energy generation

All of these 'energy harvesting' methods involve stealing energy from others who have already generated it for their own use.

That's why I called it a toll road.

Sorry, I missed several posts due to no e-mail notification. I like the air pump idea, because with electricity, you will either have to use it immediately or have a way to store it. Compressed air is easy to store and can be used as a power source directly. Drills, hammers, etc. can all run on air. It is safe, leads to light weight tools, and spark free. You can also use it to run a generator/dynamo. John

I'm not confused by the idea of turning movement into energy generation ... i did a big project on this kind of technology in my disertation - i used electro magnetic methods and vibrating cantilever beams.

However what do you want to power with this? is it a one shot application, or will it need to store energy. How much energy will it need?

Basicly i'm asking what are you trying to do other than generate energy.

That's why I called it a toll road.

Sorry, I missed several posts due to no e-mail notification. I like the air pump idea, because with electricity, you will either have to use it immediately or have a way to store it. Compressed air is easy to store and can be used as a power source directly. Drills, hammers, etc. can all run on air. It is safe, leads to light weight tools, and spark free. You can also use it to run a generator/dynamo. John

hi John

u said that i can run a generator with the help of compressed air ....

but i have no idea what kind of system it will become n how bigger in size coz i want to install it below road / speedbreaker

in short can u explain me some assembly part of what u r talking plz

I'm not confused by the idea of turning movement into energy generation ... i did a big project on this kind of technology in my disertation - i used electro magnetic methods and vibrating cantilever beams.

However what do you want to power with this? is it a one shot application, or will it need to store energy. How much energy will it need?

Basicly i'm asking what are you trying to do other than generate energy.

hi Misterbenn

my primary thinking is that i will store the energy n use for the streetlights
also in highway toll plaza for different applications and if i could make some good amount of energy i can think of nearby household applications...

can u share what u have done for ur project n how?

i dont know how much energy it will going to produce but i am trying to create at max levels n thinking in the same manner

Converting compressed air to mechanical energy can be done with either a turbine or piston design. Turbines are typically used in hand tools. I am sure they can be scaled up, but some are pretty powerful as is and could run a small generator. A piston design is just like a motor. Check out CO2 or air motors.

John

I suggest purchasing your own energy. I voted 'other' because your "idea" is a covert toll road and it raises ethical issues. Would be more honest to request a coin from every passer by.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back