Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Telephone Signaling tones

Status
Not open for further replies.

NatureBoy

Hi, I'm trying to find the best and simplest method of generating telephone signaling tones such as dial and busy tones.
Does anyone have any schematics.

Well, if you ask me, I'd say the easiest way of producing those signals is through an IC and a microcontroller. I guess I don't have any schematics but if you're interested in components, I bought some DTMF chips from **broken link removed** a while ago that seemed to work very well (didn't test them extensively). If your interested call progress tones though, I'd try out their **broken link removed** generator [link has .pdf], which is availible in DIP14 or SOIC16.

As far as dialing goes, I'd try thier M-8888 (8051 and i86 interfaceable), or M-8880 (for Motorola-type interfacing). Both chips were very reliable, and --if I remember right-- they even took care of that 3db "twist" between the tone pairs. Most of those parts are availible through Digikey.com. I also found some very useful diagrams for phone interfacing at this Helsinki University of Technology site.

The Simplest way is to buy a Tone Generator IC.

An MC14410P is one such chip to generate these tones.
An MC567 is a decoder chip for these tones

Hey thanx alot. I will look into using that tone generator I.C that you mentioned. However, I did use 2 555 timers in the astable configuration to generate the individual tones and then used a LM381 chip configured as a mixer to mix both tones. After which I coupled the output of the mixer through a capacitor and sent it to a speaker.

The dial tone generated sounds like a dial tone, however it has a higher pitch.
I'm not really satisfied 100% with the results, so I will try your suggestion if I can source that chip.

Thanx alot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back