Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Telephone Ring Count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I found the circuit attached that suppose to detect when a phone is ringing and the number of times the phone rings...The part of the circuit which has "to counter"...is that going to the PIC microcontroller or something?...Which pin would it need to be connected to on the PIC18F452?...Or is there another chip which determines ring count seperately from the 4N25? I completely lost :(

Attachments

• ringdet.GIF
    ringdet.GIF
    2.3 KB · Views: 191
The "device" is simply an opto-coupler. The counting has to be done via a sub-routine in the microcontroller.

In my Infinity Bug, it detects the phone ring via a diode and resistor network (simply the zener of a 1N4148). You know the length of a ring so you just create a time-delay of a few seconds and count the number of time-delays.

The "device" is simply an opto-coupler. The counting has to be done via a sub-routine in the microcontroller.

In my Infinity Bug, it detects the phone ring via a diode and resistor network (simply the zener of a 1N4148). You know the length of a ring so you just create a time-delay of a few seconds and count the number of time-delays.

The length of ring tone present varies from country to country, so I would detect start of ring and sample until ring = 0 for several samples, then ring count is incremented.

Ring detect/count

thanks mike...that's a great idea because i'm from Trinidad & Tobago and don't know the duration of a typical ring in my country. Everytime i call the company that deals with the phone service they tell me hold to speak to a technician and no one ever comes to speak to me. What is the duration of a ring in the United States of a typical DTMF-2500 telephone handset?...Anyone familiar with this?...I think that is the same telephone set used here in Trinidad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back