Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Telephone Caller ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom_berry1050

Help wanted. I am looking for ideas. I have two phone lines coming into the house (home & business line) with the number of telemarketer calls we get these days I would like a way of connecting both phone lines to my satellite receiver. This way when I am relaxing watching TV I can utilize the on screen display generated by the satellite receiver displaying number and name of the incoming call and I can decide whether to answer the call or let it go to voice mail. My problem is the receiver can only handle one phone line. I would like some way of routing the call to the receiver along with the caller ID from ether line.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

There is a document here!!! that explains what and how.... You will need to get it onto the TV.. If you have an AV you could use a similar micro to produce an AV signal to display on the TV... You would only need to swap to the AV channel to view the data...

Sorry I may not have explained well enough. I have a satellite receiver that has a phone line connection. I can plug a phone line into it and when the phone rings the receiver will decode the caller id and display the number and name of the caller on the top of the screen over the program I am watching. That all works fine. What I want to do is connect the 2 phone lines together and have it display the information from ether line. Hence how do I connect two phone lines together into the receiver without the ringing, conversation or the voltage from the line affecting each other.

I was assuming that you need TWO caller ID units... Two separate lines cannot be combined... You have to switch them..

Possibly you could use the ringer voltage to swap the lines going to the satellite... ie when one line rings a two pole relay is energized to route the relevant pair to the satellite...

Last edited:
As I remember the caller ID burst is sent by tones with the sequence start signalled by a line polarity reversal, before the ring signal is even sent. So anything you place on the lines must preserve that behaviour :)

A NSL switch would help ( Non-Suscriber-Line) switch, it will combine the two phone lines. its used to tie in building intercom systems with 3rd party phone.
i think the id signal sequence comes after the first ring , so it should work, but dont quote me, its been long time for me too!
the switch is basically a relay that triggers and holds on the ringer and off hook voltage.
https://www.sittelletech.com/IVI6000.html

In the US, caller id data is sent between the first and second rings. So an automatic changeover circuit would have to identify a ringing line and get it switched to the receiver in time for the receiver's demod to work. Not hard, but not off-the-shelf.

Two optocoupler ring detectors that go on the first edge of anything. Detectors drive set and reset of a FF, FF drives a DPDT relay, relay drives receiver. Or use two small solid state relays designed for phone line switching.

The relay(s) might change state on noise bursts, don't care. The receiver will sit on the last phone line to have a ring, again don't care. Since the receiver doesn't actually answer the phone and is designed to bridge the line continuously, this is a pretty easy circuit.

And, this could be extended to any number of phone lines with game show logic.

ak

Last edited:
interesting.

I'd not looked much at this before but - off topic (sorry) - I assume one could input this to Raspberry pi and use a relay (SSR) to block or connect calls? I've seen products like this available but always thought they were too expensive and featureless. With a pi you could have call logging and a web interface for accept/block numbers, even different messages to play back to certain numbers.

No blatently obvious reason why not. The caller id code structure is well documented. But it is a very different project from the one in post #1. Now you need to build the phone line interface that already exists in the receiver, decode the data, etc. Agaon, old tech and not very complicated.

ak

I get tired of the telemarketers calling me too. I down loaded a WAR DIALER program to my computer. You can set it to call the telemarketers back, over and over and over for days and weeks and months none stop. It makes me Mad those people call me all the time so I decided I would call them back none stop for weeks. As it turns out AT&T and other phone companies charge $3000 to $14,000 for an 800 number plus they get a FEE of about 1% to 15% for each call that is made. Phone companies make their biggest $$$$$ from the 800 SEX calls. My WAR DIALER calling them none stop keeps other people from calling that makes them mad. It is OK if they make me mad but its not ok if I make them mad that takes money out of there pocket and the phone companies pocket too. After letting my WAR DIALER call an 800 number for 6 days a certified letter arrived in the mail from the phone company. The letter said, stop calling this 800 number or your phone service will be permanently turned OFF.

LOL.......what a bunch of jerks. They can call and irritate me but I cant call them.

The war dialer can be set to detect 800 calls, it answers then hands up and starts calling them back over and over and over until I tell it to stop.

haha, i had collection agents threaten to charge me if i kept calling them , apparently they dont like their own medicine,

Now a days , there is a smart phone virus out there, that when your phone is idling it makes telemarketing calls and ports recipient to the call center, which is in India somewhere, you can always tell its them cause no matter what prize you have won , its always the microsoft SAM telling you to push 1 if you have a credit card.
Funny thing is that if you call back the local number that shows up on call display, the person that answers has no idea what you are talking about.
Unfortunately I contacted the RCMP about this, since we here have the almighty "DO NOT CALL LIST", unwanted telemarketing is illegal, but they said they can't do anything about it since they are calling from India and its not illegal there.

I wish there was a way i could ping their host .... soo much ...
(maybe if i found the software and de-compiled it , i could get the IP that way?)!

While I like Analogkid's solution there is another problem. I have caller id and it shows on the TV screen just fine. Unfortunately most of the caller id data on spam or garbage telemarketing calls is spoofed. The caller can make the number read whatever they choose. That has been my observation anyway. Anymore, unless I know who the caller is I don't bother to answer and funny but 98% never leave a voicemail message. Go figure. :)

Ron

Well that is why people invented white-lists just a little while after they invented black-lists.

Prolly just easier to send those nuisance calls to an endless audio loop saying "Hello, hello? Can you speak up I can't hear you. Hello? Who's calling? Fred? Oh you want Fred? Who's in bed?, Fred's not in bed, he's out playing golf" etc, just endless dribble, but for saturday afternoon entertainment, record the calls :p
5 mins worth ought to do it :D

I guess you could get a premium line number and put it on as many lists as you can find, then when called chat away for as long as you can in the knowledge your getting £1.85 per min of your time :D, Hmmm thats not a bad idea if you hook the number upto a answer phone with a 5 min rambling message :D

Loads of genuine companies pretty much do just that by implementing really convoluted and often difficult to navigate call menus, while using an 08 number for public access to them. Last time I really noticed it being obvious, was when I had to call one particular Insurance company, but some local authorities and govt offices also play that game.

I get annoyed too, but I won;t hang up on them. I just put the cordless phone in front of an AM radio, Sometimes I hit the number to speak to a person, If they are going to waste y time, why can't I waste theirs?

I have a call blocker unit I bought from Amazon. When I get a call that I don't recognize and they leave no voicemail message I hit the Black List Button. That stores the number in the unit and, if they call again, it only rings once and then the call is terminated.
The device will store about a thousand numbers I think.

I have a call blocker unit I bought from Amazon. When I get a call that I don't recognize and they leave no voicemail message I hit the Black List Button. That stores the number in the unit and, if they call again, it only rings once and then the call is terminated.

Mine doesn't ring at all for a blacklisted number, it also came with a library of known trouble numbers.

It also blocks international calls, or calls with no caller ID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back