Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tektronix Oscilloscope/Digital Analyzer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred.Amoson

I've reached the point in my life where I need to start looking into getting a good, DPO Tektronix oscilloscope. I don't want to screw around and get a cheap one from the 80s off of eBay, I want to get one that I can use for _many_ years in the future.

I've been looking at the TDS2024B. This is a color, 200MHz, 2.0GS/s, 4 channel oscilloscope. Does anyone see any reason why this scope will not last me many years, assuming I don't need to see anything insanely small? I've also been considering the TDS2022B, which is the 2 channel version, but same specs.

I'm also in need of a Digital Analyzer. Would this oscilloscope work well as a Digital analyzer, or would I be shooting myself in the foot by trying to use a scope for that purpose instead of buying a dedicated digital analyzer? Any recommendations on digital analyzers?

Also, when you do buy a new Tektronix, is it dumb to pay retail price?

I've also been thinking of getting the TDS2024B and have been watching ebay and other sources. They don't come up too often, but I've seen "brand new" units with probes and manuals and warranty cards go for about $1500 from apparantly reliable vendors. So, that is one source if you are patient. Another good idea is to buy a TDS2024 straight from Tektronix. They sell factory refurbished units and currently offer a TDS2024B for $2061 or a TDS2024 for $1820. I personally prefer the b model, but the main thing missing from the non-b is the built-in USB connection which you can upgrade to but costs another few hundred so its a bit of a wash in price then.

My experience with refurbished goods in general has been pretty good, so I would buy this way rather than strictly retail. Unless of course you can find a retail vendor discounting new ones down to within $100 or so of $2000.

I talked to Tek about their warranty and they have no problem registering a new warranty on a new unit or transferring a warranty for a used one regardless of vendor, and that goes for US and Canada where I live.

If I needed a logic analyzer I would probably get a separate dedicated unit since I like my scope to be just a scope.

I bought my Tek Scope with a 12-month bank loan using the scope as collateral. I paid the loan off early and it did wonders for my credit rating. It was way cheaper than a credit card.

Thanks for the help everyone. I pretty much know what scope I am going to get, and just have some questions about the logic analyzers I have found. I will make a new topic for that though.

Thanks.

Optikon said:
I'm in love with a TDS3054 with advance trigger module and FFT module.

Its a nice scope alright, but for a new purchase I have trouble justifying the extra cost (approx $7K vs $2.8K). What features do you think are the most compelling in the 3054 vs the high end of the 2000 series?

I'm a big fan of Tektronix DSOs, I own a TDS3032 myself. If you're looking into the second-hand market, be careful to ensure that it passes all the diagnostic tests. The boot-time test is not enough, as hybrid failures on the channel inputs are fairly common and unfortunately these types of problems won't be picked up by the initial boot-time test (which will report a pass). You need to do a full test via the utilities menu to pick up this gremlin.

If a hybrid has failed, it's not repairable. Tek won't supply it as a part, you have to buy a motherboard instead and then of course they have to fit it because of all the factory setup stuff.

Just thought that advice might be useful.

Brian

I should add that hybrid failures are only common on abused scopes. They don't fail by themselves. But I thought it would be useful for you to make sure to check them out if you're buying second hand.

Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back