Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tektronix DPO-2014 vs Rigol DS1104Z, which one to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a MSO2012B scope at work but have only used it extensively for a week on a new project to reverse engineer and build a tester for some old fiber-link DAQ boards. So far I'm liking the basic functions but am mainly using the optional serial DPO2COMP trigger functions to capture the machine host/client data stream @37500 bps for later analysis and coding into in a custom testing device using a PIC18F45K80.

Never used a Rigol so I can't help you there.

Last edited:
I have a MSO2012B scope at work but have only used it extensively for a week on a new project to reverse engineer and build a tester for some old fiber-link DAQ boards. So far I'm liking the basic functions but am mainly using the optional serial DPO2COMP trigger functions to capture the machine host/client data stream @37500 bps for later analysis and coding into in a custom testing device using a PIC18F45K80.

Never used a Rigol so I can't help you there.

Comment and question :

I guess that writing the software for such a piece of gear should be a pleasure.

I couldn't understand why he selects 8 bits instead 9 or 7.

Comment and question :

I guess that writing the software for such a piece of gear should be a pleasure.

I couldn't understand why he selects 8 bits instead 9 or 7.

The actual base function software is pretty simple, the hard part is making the user interface 'fool-proof' because fools are so clever.

The demo used a PC based program to generate the serial data. The default is usually 8n1 for 8 bits, no parity and one stop bit. For my app I'm dealing with multidrop network communications so the settings are 9n1 with bit 9 as an address message bit for the target board.
**broken link removed**
I will also need the SPI trigger modes for testing the user display and data dump modes.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I quite sure the Tek scope will be better made and give more accurate measurements.

and will still be around for local (Beaverton, OR) support in 10 years.

and will still be around for local (Beaverton, OR) support in 10 years.

FYI, Rigol is also located in Beaverton, OR:
Rigol
10200 SW Allen Blvd.
Beaverton, OR 97005

Maybe both Tektronix (owned by Danaher, which also owns Fluke) and Rigol will both be around.

I once thought GM was as stable as the Rock of Gibraltar, but I and a lot of other people were wrong. Rigol has an established reputation. And although I own Tektronix and Fluke (bought 8 to 10 years ago), my advice would be to go with the best bang for the buck that you can afford. In today's market, all established brands seem to be just one step from becoming a cheaply made import.

John

While watching the video linked by nsaspook, I was surpised to see that the Tek's buttons for a Single capture and Start/stop looked the same as those in my 100-MHz Owon. Do they share suppliers? Even their location on the panel. ??

FYI, Rigol is also located in Beaverton, OR:
Rigol
10200 SW Allen Blvd.
Beaverton, OR 97005

Maybe both Tektronix (owned by Danaher, which also owns Fluke) and Rigol will both be around.

It's not a surprise that Rigol (HQ in Beijing, China) or OWON is leaching off the expertise of Tektronix (HQ in Beaverton, OR). Nothing wrong with good competition and it keeps the Tek prices in line with reality. If possible I buy from USA based companies for work related projects to support our manufacturing engineering base (Even if it's actually built in China).

Last edited:
A screen shot of the scope in action on the PIC18F45K80 generating software test signals. Worth every nickel.

Top to bottom:
SPI: to lcd display module
MOSO analog probe signal
SCK digital
RS232: to light-link transceivers
RX2 interrupt toggle digital
RX2 data digital
TX2 data decode, scope trigger on hex data 000,1FF
RX2 data decode (light-link loopback)
TX2 analog probe signal

mso_picture.jpg

Load the RS232 and SPI data buffers then start the interrupt driven data transfers.
Code:
ringBufS_put(L.tx2b, 0b000000000);
ringBufS_put(L.tx2b, 0b111111111);
ringBufS_put(L.tx2b, 0b011111111);
ringBufS_put(L.tx2b, 0b000000000);

ringBufS_put(spi_link.tx1b, 0b000000000);
ringBufS_put(spi_link.tx1b, 0b011111111);