Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TDS-08a solenoid, what inductance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikita

Hi, I found a couple TDS-08a solenoids, and now I need to know the inductance, but all datasheets I found don't say anything about it.

Quick google of a datasheet:
Specifications:
Size: 20x26x36.8mm

Holding force:1350gf (13.2N)

Pull force @ 4mm:120gf(1.18N)

Weight:96g

Plunger weight:12g

Coil:3.4 watts

Standard options:
Operating voltages: 6, 12, 24 Vdc
Connections: wires, leads, terminals.
Plunger: Plated (Std.), emarlon coating.

Is there any way to calculate the inductance just from that?
Thanks in advance.

There's no single number. The inductance will vary with plunger position. Since it's a DC solenoid, the core and plunger are probably solid iron, not laminated, so the inductance will also vary with frequency.

Yep, and ability to adjust inductance through positioning the plunger is what I have a use for.

I still need to know it's maximum inductance though, with plunger fully in, and when used in a DC circuit (no frequency).

The plunger is same length as the solenoid.

The ONLY Way you will get this info is if you get an Inductance Meter and test it yourself.

Yep, and ability to adjust inductance through positioning the plunger is what I have a use for.

I still need to know it's maximum inductance though, with plunger fully in, and when used in a DC circuit (no frequency).

The plunger is same length as the solenoid.

AC inductance

The ONLY Way you will get this info is if you get an Inductance Meter and test it yourself.

inductance is an AC quantity, that also functions at DC over
HTML:
short-
time. kinda strange- isnt it.

measure it with an AC voltage source and some resistors in a series circuit and a voltmeter. then caLculate using the frequency and voltage ratios and resistances. Im not writing the circuits course out here- there are plenty of other places that tell this method already but you DONT need fancy instruments to do it. you can do it just fine with a train transformer (60 hz AC at say 24VAC output ) and a voltmeter and some resistors.

If the OP ever returns I'm sure this information will be useful. Hopefully the project isn't still pending for the past 4 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back