Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tcmtechs new/old toy! 1962 International 190 Fire truck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcmtech

Banned
Most Helpful Member
This is one of my more interesting acquisitions of the summer. An all original 1962 International 190 series cab-over fire truck that I got on a trade for labor deal this summer. It has just over 50,000 miles and runs and drives great and didnt burn any oil even durring the 300 mile trip where I had it floored the whole way. Considering its age and size its quite comfortable and well mannered on the road. The brakes are good, the steering is tight and the old seat is rather comfortable even after nearly 6 hours on the road.

It presently tips the scales at just over 8 tons and gets just over 7 MPG at its governed speed of 62 MPH with its massive 549 cubic inch 250 Hp V8 engine wound tight at 3400 RPM! :D
(It sort of annoyed me that my wife followed me all the way home with my 1999 Ford F250 super duty and it only got about 10 MPG doing the exact same trip and speed despite weighing half as much and being about 4 times more aerodynamic especially in comparison to a 549 CI international truck engine that was well known in its day for being a fuel pig. Newer vehicles are more efficient my ass.)

Apparently it was truck #3 from the Hewitt Mn fire department some years ago. I don't know much about it but its wild fun to drive has good brakes and tires and it made the 300 mile trip from where I got it to home without difficulty. Turned a lot of heads along the way though! ;)

My plans are to eventually remove the fire body and change it over to a basic flatbed truck and repaint it in IHC red of course!:p

DCP02466.JPG DCP02467.JPG DCP02468.JPG DCP02469.JPG DCP02470.JPG DCP02471.JPG

Last edited:
Oh man, I envy the hell out of you. Firetruck is on my list but I plan to keep it a fire truck! I have this thing about pumper trucks. :)

Ron

This is one of my more interesting acquisitions of the summer. An all original 1962 International 190 series cab-over fire truck that I got on a trade for labor deal this summer.

I thought you got married to a wonderful woman who could operate an excavator. I hope she is not jealous. I have always wanted a firetruck, but I have a wife instead.

John

My plans are to eventually remove the fire body and change it over to a basic flatbed truck and repaint it in IHC red of course!:p

Don't you dare, that is sacrilegious.

Restore the thing and it will be worth a good amount of cash. You can advertise it on wildlandfire.com many private fire service contractors look for such stuff. I just landed a fire/rescue job with a private fire service.

Oh, and remember, it is not a fire engine, it is an apparatus :) Yours looks like it may be a type 3 or 4.

I thought you got married to a wonderful woman who could operate an excavator.

Well I got her too of course and she had no issues with me getting the old truck being I got her a 1997 Ford Super Duty dually with a flatbed and her own custom license plates first!;)

It was a good summer to say the least!:D

DCP02462.JPG

Restore the thing and it will be worth a good amount of cash. You can advertise it on wildlandfire.com many private fire service contractors look for such stuff. I just landed a fire/rescue job with a private fire service.

Around here you can pick them up for scrap metal price or less. Thats how cheap I got this one and I know where at least one more early 70's Ford F600 version is too.

I didn't get it to collect it rather turn it into a neat old flatbed work truck. I will happily sell entire fire body if you know someone who wants it. Pumps included just make me a reasonable offer before I chop it up for scrap!:)

Man, you make me drool. Of course at my age, it doesn't take much to make me drool. Best wishes.

John

Very nice truck. Thanks for posting the pictures.

I drive Fire appliances part time after hours as a volunteer in our local brigade in Titirangi.

So why do they call them fire apparatus or appliances any way? :confused:

So why do they call them fire apparatus or appliances any way? :confused:

Now don't take this as fact as I am only guessing. In a fire Dept, there are many types of vehicles, water tenders, utility trucks, hazmat, etc. In order to distinguish vehicle types, the engine is called the apparatus. Again, this is only a guess, but you got me thinking and now I want to know so I will inquire with a few old firehorses and get back to you. Keep in mind, I am still a probie :) At my new job I am still in training so I have much to learn. We contract with oil refinery companies so I will be doing a lot of travel, who knows, I may end up in Dakota for a spell.

who knows, I may end up in Dakota for a spell.

We are getting a new refinery built in the Makoti area near my place so if you ever end up near Minot ND give me a PM. The wife and I would be happy to take you out to dinner some place nice! :)

We are getting a new refinery built in the Makoti area near my place so if you ever end up near Minot ND give me a PM. The wife and I would be happy to take you out to dinner some place nice! :)

Sounds like a good plan TCM.

Just for a follow up I got the old rumble monster fired up the other day. Pulled the choke and gave it two pumps and it fired right up even after sitting all winter! :D

Strangely the brakes went out while sitting for the last few months though. I suspect I either have a leak some place I have not found or the seal went out in the master cylinder. Either way no big deal being I plan to start going through whole truck from top to bottom doing fluid flushes and change outs.

I also picked up some new old stock hydraulic cylinders that would be perfect for putting a dump bed system on it instead of just having a stationary flat bed! :D

I also got my old 1952 International L110 pickup out and running as well. It sat out in the trees for the last 7 - 8 years without being touched. 5 gallons of gas and about 10 seconds of cranking and it fired right up and drove off! No brakes in it now either. :p

It must be a International truck thing? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back