Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tapped into AUX cable input. But now has static! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RDTK

Hello,

I would consider myself pretty basic when it comes to wiring car stereos. I am only an IT support guy that has been modding my car for 2 years now and most have just been HID's, Halos, LEDs. I have installed a sub, amp, but had help with connecting amp to stereo head, so now I am kinda stuck with my limited knowledge and hope you guys/girls can help me out!

I have a 2008 Mazda3 GX which has the AUX input located in center console. I didn't like the 3.5mm audio cable hanging from my center console to my phone on a dock attached to air vent right of the steering wheel.

So I took the cable, cut it in half, spliced the Right, Left, and Ground wires on the aux input cable that connects to the back on my stereo. The connections are soldered well and wrapped with care.

Now when I plug my phone into the 3.5mm jack, the music plays but is allot quieter and full of static.

If I wiggle the portion of the wire were I soldered, there is no change in audio signal or present static.

I checked my connections anyways and added more solder and smoothed it out, then retaped.

I soldered the

Red wire on the connector to the red wire going to aux in center console and the red wire in the new-ish aux cable

Same with white wiring

And same for Black wiring

I also tried to put one of the round magnets around the whole wire harness where it connects to back of stereo.

Did I do something wrong????
The choice of which wires connected are wrong??
Maybe I connected my left to the ground or my ground to whatever....???
Should I get my hands on an volt meter?

I believe the wires connected to these pins are what i tapped into...
https://torontomazda3.ca/forum/howto_...od/2zfizwi.jpg

There is a good chance you have a shorted strand. Hopefully you used the right jack. There can be various switchinh arrangements on the jacks and there are mono and stereo jacks. A mono jack can contain 3 terminals. Post a pic of the jack you used or a part number.

There is a TRICK when wiring the shield. You leave the braid intact and "pull" the center conductors through a hole in the braid.

The cable you sketched looks like it has 3 ordinary wires, not audio cable that has two wires (left and right channels) surrounded by a braided or foil shield which is ground. The shield blocks static interference from getting into the left and right wires.

The reduced level might be caused by using a mono plug instead of a stereo plug.

It is a stereo jack, but I think the colors of the wirers are lieing and I am using the wrong pins. Unfortunatly I don't trust what I can find on the internet for the true pin layout. It seams that 1st gen mazda3's 2004-2009 stereo's are not all created equal. I also tried connecting the ground directly to the body and had same result. Instead I will be connecting a 3.5mm aux cable plugged into my center console oem jack and then drill a hole and feed cable under all the trim and pop out of vent.

thanks all for your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back