Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Tachometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Use an IR-beam and depending on the motor (aircraft with propeller) or car model the measuring method will differ slightly.

With a propeller you can make an IR barrier to count the blade passages and with a car motor you can use the same device as a reflective IR-barrier by glueing a piece of reflective material (aluminum foil) onto the shaft to measure.

Modulate the IR-diode at approx 30 to 40KHz and use a Vishay TSOP17XX as receiver to make the device independent of daylight and artificial light sources.

Boncuk

If you have an O-scope and a hall effect sensor, you can attach a short piece of bar magnet to the rotating shaft....and measure the time elapsed between successive pole passes. A short collar and a set screw will work...Use epoxy or glue to attach the magnet to the temporary collar.

Yeah, You can simply use a Hall effect sensor to do so.

2 years ago I made one using a hall effect sensor I picked up from a computer Fan. I used a calculator as the counter.

Yeah, You can simply use a Hall effect sensor to do so.

2 years ago I made one using a hall effect sensor I picked up from a computer Fan. I used a calculator as the counter.

Were you able to actually get a calculator internal clock circuit pulse to increment a counter ... for a given time interval? ..... Or maybe just use the Hall sensor pulse to add +1 to a calculator memory register..using a keypad trace ...for a given time period...

Were you able to actually get a calculator internal clock circuit pulse to increment a counter ... for a given time interval? ..... Or maybe just use the Hall sensor pulse to add +1 to a calculator memory register..using a keypad trace ...for a given time period...

Sorry I were too busy and did not get any time to come here for these days,

well, the story goes back to when I did not have any scope. then I used a Cheap engineering calculator to do the job. I used the second trick you mentioned.

the calculator were exchanged to count the numbers of turns of windings and then I used it as a tachometer to measure the RPM of several motors which I wanted to use in my indoor plane designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back